GETTING the Fundamentals RIGHT – FROM Wherever and the Way to Start
The base development phase has to be strong. This part includes finding out the fundamental books and developing the proper techniques for things such as books reading, newspaper / magazine reading, using the net, reports reading etc. UPSC queries won’t be from this level, however if we don’t get this right, we won’t get the following phases right.
The idea is – our base should be so sturdy that when we study the upper things, we should always be able to perceive them straightaway. If our base isn’t strong, then we might got to keep revisiting it and can waste plenty of your time. an honest base means that we should always not feel the necessity of ever revisiting the fundamental books once more.
In this phase we should always cover all the fundamental books. These include:
- Bipin Chandra for Indian freedom.
- DD Basu for Indian constitution.
- class 11th and 12th old n cert textbooks: 3 in geography (1 physical, 1 India, 1 economic), 3 in History (Ancient and medieval for the culture, philosophy part only, and the modern one for modern history)
- class 9th and 10th Science old n certs (specially the biology part)
We should prepare notes in our own language after we scan these books and not just underline for reasons mentioned later.
Once we do this strongly, we are going to additionally notice we won’t get to prepare a lot of for prelims as well!
Some people like underlining to note making. However, notes creating are desirable for a minimum of 3 strong reasons:
- In UPSC Mains exams, it’s the things we’ve got internalized that helps. We may have studied one thing in some context however in communicating we may apply it in another context. This sort of ‘cross referencing’ is extremely useful and might build our answers very powerful. Whereas creating notes, we convert the language of the book into our own language and this method helps tons in internalizing stuff.
- It saves time! This might sound contrary to good judgment as a result of underlining is unquestionably quicker than fastidiously writing stuff in our own language. True, getting ready notes takes lot longer than underlining books. However as a result of they’re in our own language, editing them takes lot lesser time than editing underlined stuff. In fact, with well ready notes, it’s going to be potential to revise your entire program some 5-10 times and every sequent revision are going to be faster!
- Notes are customization. We will frame our own queries that we predict may be asked in UPSC and prepare our notes consequently. However we can’t do the same for underlined stuff.
How to use internet for General Study’s preparation
- As mentioned earlier, the moment we find one thing useful and yet incomplete within the newspapers/books, we should search for it on net.
- Since newspapers and magazines can’t cowl everything, we should always use a RSS reader (say feedly on Google Chrome) and subscribe the editorials / sections of all major newspapers. it’s free and straightforward. Any new item can show up with title and one line on your feedly. we are able to plan to either browse it or skip it. We are going to realize that we might usually skip ~95% of the things. However remaining five-hitter area unit required.
- Sure enough topics like world organization, one might produce Google alerts. This fashion one can get an email every time one thing is revealed on cyberspace containing keywords like ‘WTO’ and ‘India’. Different significant alerts could also be created.