UPSC IAS The Hindu and Indian Express Current Affairs 23 November 2016 highlights are:
- CivilsPrep – The Hindu Editorials Perspective Analysis
La excellence IAS
My notes 23 November 2016
- Trans pacific partnership is an economic angle of USAs strategic Pivot to Asia.
- It is meant to continue USA supremacy as the leader of global trade policy and global economy.
- It raises free trade, but not employment in USA
- India is not a part of TPP and countries such as Vietnam gain from TPP against India. Indian market in USA is expected to be lost to countries like Vietnam.
- China is expected to gain as USA allies become restless and look for alternative trade choices.
Photosynthesis helps to manufacture carbohydrate in plants from sun. When sunlight is excess, it is released as heat and photosynthesis slows down at that point of time. Scientists at University of Illinois are able to quicken up the process to bring back the photosynthesis to normal stage again.
Fifty days later
MSME is responsible for majority of rural employment and economic activity. They are by and large dependant on cash transactions. It is due to skewed spatial distribution of banking sector and heavy regulation put in place by the govt. Demonetisation is effecting very their survival.
Black money and terror
Quality of counter terrorism will determine the efficacy of prevention of terrorism
- channel process in UK
The Channel process aims to provide support to individuals at risk of being drawn into violent extremism. It draws on existing collaboration between local authorities, the police, statutory partners (such as the education sector, social services, children’s and youth services and offender management services) and the local community and has three objectives: to identify individuals at risk of being drawn into violent extremism; to assess the nature and extent of that risk; to develop the most appropriate support for the individuals concerned.
- Internet policing in Finland
- Deradicalisation of Telangana Government
- Norway – counter Virgid offensive
To initiate one-on-one dialogues between young extremists and police and security forces, with the goal of explaining the consequences of engaging in violent extremism in an effort to dissuade ongoing involvement with right-wing violent organisations.
- Project exit – Norway
Project Exit was formally established in 1997, originating as a three-year development project by the Ministry of Justice, the Ministry of Children and Family, and the Directorate of Immigration. It was hosted by the NGO ‘Adults for Children’. The project had three primary objectives: to establish local networks to support the parents of children embedded in racist or violent groups; to enable young people to disengage from these groups; and to develop and disseminate methodological knowledge to professionals working with youths associated with violent groups.
An ill judged conflict
- Populism based on opposition between an elected legislature and the Judiciary does not bode well for a democracy based on rule of law. Democracy with out rule of law quickly degenerates in to mobocracy.
- There is a conflict between the legitimacy of the elected politician and the legality enshrined in a constitution where custodians are the judges.
- Democracy cant be the tyranny of the unelected.
- Independence of Judiciary is part of the basic structure and primacy of legislature in law making is also part of the basic structure.
No complacency on Zika
Generics vs Big Pharma
- Data exclusivity – Data exclusivity is a kind of intellectual property protection wherein clinical trial and other data submitted by an originator drug company cannot be used or relied upon by a drug regulatory authority to approve a generic version of that drug for a certain period of It is a barrier to the entry of generic drugs. The proposal with the Government is to extend the time limit for state level drug regulatory approvals from four to eight years. It is to benefit the MNC.
- Complex federal drug regulation structure
Rail safety – Rerailing the Indian Railways
Any accident shall be considered as a cumulative failure of the procedures and systems over the past involving Some misses. If these early warnings are detected by the system it can lead to correction. It needs
- Clear reporting on deviation from standard operating protocols.
- Cost benefit analysis of investments. Safety investments need to be linked to risk reduction.