UPSC IAS The Hindu Current Affairs 29 September 2017 highlights are:
Added to this, congress system is based on democratic values of pluralism . But BJP centred one party dominant system appears to be going against to it. So, narrative of opposition shall be to vote for development and democracy.
A time for strategic partnerships
Strategic partnerships are better than alliances as they offer necessary flexibility in relationships.
- They allow for flexibility to continue political engagement and economic cooperation with their common adversary.
- They avoid entrapment of being dragged in to a partners dispute and potentially in to a conflict.
- At the same time, strategic partnership provides for regular political and military interactions for a collaborative approach to strategic policies.
India and Japan relations perfectly figure in to the above relationship.
- India will not get deep in to Japan disputes and the same is the case with Japan. A mutual cooperation exists on the wider issues where win win situation exists.
Important developments of India – Japan special strategic and global partnership are
- Japan is the only country India allowed to invest in infrastructure in North east.
- There is a joint infrastructure project development – Asia – Africa Growth corridor.
- Japan and India agreed to have annual summits and 2+ 2 format for defence and foreign ministers meeting.
- India is buying ShinMaywa Amphibious ships from Japan.
- Japan is investing in infrastructure development in Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
Nuclear deal in danger
Trump’s continuous tirade against Iran nuclear deal appears to be an end to Obama era pragmatism. Nuclear deal was successfully able to stop Iran form developing a nuclear weapon. Added to this, Iran never violated the deal. In these circumstances USA imposing sanctions against Iran, will set a dangerous precedent in international agreements. Iran nuclear deal being multilateral agreement, President shall end his rhetoric.
A big broom
Government effort to release names of shell companies, Name and shame its directors may not yield sufficient results to fight unaccounted money. In the process, there is a possibility of harassing genuine companies or directors.
The best way forward is to arrest systemic shortcomings.
Tax payer rights and obligations
Indian tax administration system shall move from an enforcement to a service based model. Intentions of reforms are good but they are reactive. DTAA, GAAR, transfer price mechanism, implementation of GST all have challenges.
improvement in taxpayers’ service, enhanced use of information and communication technology, exchange of information with other agencies, expansion of tax base, compliance management, etc. Need to be improved to make tax administration Service oriented.
Beyond social Media
In India Geographical indications (Registration and protection) act 1999 has provided for registration of Geographical indications. There is no effective monitoring mechanism for quality compliance of the same. Unlike this in the European regulation clearly provides for monitoring at multiple levels. India also shall have the same.
29 September 2107
The activist and the intellectual
We often use these roles interchangeably, but there are many fine differences. An activist is a moral agent and he/she believes in doing. An intellectual is academically motivated and he develops a perspective and argument for social change.
Activism is more democratic and egalitarian. Becoming an intellectual needs an access to quality education and resources. An opportunity to become an activist is easily available.
An activists action is more fundamentally a moral action. On the other hand, an intellectual action is more often epistemic, an action concerned with information and knowledge. An activist works with poor and marginalised and it involves a sense of giving and giving up some thing.
So, an intermediate position between these two is organic intellectualism. It is an attempt to bring back morals in the pursuit of knowledge.
It can be stated that activists and intellectuals are essential for protecting the society from two of the greatest dangers – profit and power.
Expanding the common ground
South Asian policy of President Trump is remarkably different from the Past. His criticism on safe heavens of Pakistan is straight and he clearly expressed for a greater role for India. India has made it clear to take forward 116 high impact community development projects with no boots on the ground. New Delhi agreed to strengthen security cooperation through training of Afghan police and defence forces.
Stronger defence ties are growing with USA. India is the only country outside its Allie sto receive 22 sea Guardian UAV for Maritime reconnaissance from USA.
India is also expected to play a greater role in Asia Pacific and Act East policy of India made its engagement with east Asia and South east Asia robust.
President Shinzo abe has announced for snap polls to lower house – Japanese diet in late October. He aims to get a fresh mandate for revision of pacifist constitution.
Hope in Darjeeling
Long term solution for Gorkhaland issue lies in greater autonomy to Gorkhaland territorial administration.
Will Swachh Bharat Abhiyan be a success?
- building of toilets is on a robust pace. It is expected to have a liberating impact on Indian women.
- Five states have declared themselves as Open delectation free states.
On the other side,
- Swachh Bharat shall have proper integration of various components such as drinking water, seepage management, sewerage networks, prevention of manual scavenging, sold waste management.
- Swachh Bharat Abhiyan has to focus on urban areas too. Decentralisation, segregation of garbage at source, and encouraging community/household treatment of waste is the only viable alternative.
- Behavioural change is a critical component in adopting toilets. Expenditure shall be raised on information, education and communication.
- The mission for a clean India will nor work with out breaking the link between caste and occupation.
India signs MOU to train Afghan police.