13 June 2018
Trump – Kim meet ends with promise, Historic handshake
North Korean leader Kim Jong Un promised a complete denuclearisation and intern USA promised for security Guarantees. As a good will gesture Trump offered withdrawal of troops and halting of military drills with South Korea.
This rapprochement between North Korea and USA can be cited as historic, But can it be equated with Mao-Nixon moment of china – USA relations shall be seen.
Russian games in Syria
As the civil war comes to an end, fissures in Pro Assad coalition are clearly visible.
Russia, Iran and Hezbollah were partners to fight rebels and ISIS. But, their post war objectives are quite different from each other.
- Russia do not want to precipitate the war further and wants to settle matters. On the other hand,Iran wants Assad regime to continue. Iran aims to build permanent bases in Syria to enhance its sphere of influence. Putin called for foreign troops to leave Syria once the war is over.
- Israel and Hezbollah are arch enemies. Israel did airstrikes on Iran forces in Syria. Iran and Hezbollah aim to retake Syrian territories in control of Israel. It is not the objective of Russia. Putin is not ready to Widen scope of the war. Russia do not want to enter in to Iran- Israel conflict.
- After USA’s withdrawal from Iran nuclear deal, Russia knows Iran’s vulnerabilities. It allows him to play delicate balance.
A plastic charter
Mandatory segregation at source and recycling of plastic must be implemented to phase out them.
- In this context, many cities prohibited use of plastics. But, their implementation is very weak.
- Plastic waste management rules called for a ban on plastic bags below 50 micronthickness and phasing out with in two years. It need to be implemented by state Governments.
- Solid waste management rules provide for extended producer responsibility for disposal of their own plastic waste. It is difficult to identify onesown waste after consumption. Here, companies can come together and share responsibility in geographical divisions. Switzerland used similar method to recycle thermocol used for insulation of buildings.
Interview – Prakash javadekar
- Government is trying to bring in anunified regulator for higher education.
- All engineering colleges – Autonomous, established under deemed universities need to be brought under AICTE.
- Expenditure on Education is raised to 4% of GDP.
- Inspection process of the Government need to focus on learning outcomes and teaching process and placements. As on today, it is focussed only on infrastructure.
- UGC notification for graded autonomy for universities can lead to fees hikes.
- New Education policy is being worked out based on recommendations of Kasturirangan
India joined as a full time member of Shanghai cooperation organisation. India considers central Asia as its extended Neighbourhood. Form the Kushans to Mughals, there was considerable connectivity between the regions. Today, chabahar port, International North South transport corridor increased India’s involvement and stakes in the regional stability.
CPI inflation quickens to $ months high
Increased food and fuel costs lifted CPI based inflation to 4.87% for May.
Tag:Asian Games, Bashar al assad, Chabahar Port, Civils Current Affairs, CPI inflation, current affairs for ias, current affairs for ips, daily news anaylsis, Economic sancions, GDP spending on education, Golan heights, International north south corridor, Iran nuclear deal, Kasthuri Rangan committee, Land acquisition, NPA, Nuclear disarmament, Organ transplantation, Plastic waste, Recycling, SCO, Solid waste management rules, syria, Yahpal Committee