22 June 2018
Jammu and Kashmir separatist leaders held as protest shuts down valley
Kashmir valley was shutdown by the separatists joint resistance leadership protesting against assassination of Journalist shujaat Bukhari.
India notifies higher tariffs on USA imports
India imposed tariffs on several items imported from the USA including agricultural products such as apples, almonds, chickpeas, lentils etc. it is in retaliation to USA’s imposition of tariffs on steel and aluminium.
World’s hungry population on the rise again, says UN report
UN sustainable development goals report 2018 stated that conflict is one of the major driver of food insecurity in 18 countries. It is followed by climate change.
Trade war initiated by USA is escalating. EU, China and India joined in it. It is expected to worsen further . It will soon affect investments and thereby global economic growth and prosperity.
How the world explains football
Foot ball is not just a sport. It is intertwined with economic, social and other factors. In Iran, agitation from women led to their entry in to Azadi stadium. Corruption in FIFA, conduct of sport in countries like Russia and Qatar of their human rights violations are also questioned.
An old Kashmir – Jammu dilemma
1952 was close to a solution to Kashmir problem. Sheikh Abdullah and Nehru relationship with each other, popularity enjoyed by Sheikh Abdullah among Kashmiris, Pakistan Prime Minister Mohammed ali intention to find a long-lasting solution for Pakistan are the reasons.
But, land reforms initiated by sheikh Abdullah Government did not go well with people of Jammu – A Hindu dominant region. soon, Jammu Praja Parishad is created to agitate against these reforms. It soon transformed itself as a hyper national organisation and got support form right wing. Ek Vidhan, Ek Nishan and Ek Pradhan became its slogan.
Arrest and death of SP Mookharjee forced Nehru to consider their demand and it raised might of hindu right in Indian politics. Same dilemma continues in India even today.
Should Delhi be given statehood?
- Delhi was a small region with less than half population of today when 69th constitutional amendment act was passed. Increased population makes it necessary to have a strong Government to deliver public services.
- Law and order, security and development can not be separated from each other. Keeping them in two different Governments will lead to separation of authority and responsibility from each other.
- Centre keeping the services department and anti corruption Bureau in its hands is making democratic accountability very weak.
- Delhi can aptly be an union territory as administration involves many responsibilities for centre. embassies, visiting dignitaries and their security are of prime importance. Existence of two Governments disjointed can created coordination challenges.
- Local Government can be strengthened for developmental work and union can have control over security, law and order, land and other regulatory functions.
- Washington DC is a best model for management of Delhi.
- India – Maldives hold discussions to sort out issues
- India and USA to initiate 2+2 dialogue on July 6.