UPSC IAS The Hindu Current Affairs 19 Feb 2018 highlights are:
- They allow for flexibility to continue political engagement and economic cooperation with their common adversary.
- They avoid entrapment of being dragged in to a partners dispute and potentially in to a conflict.
- At the same time, strategic partnership provides for regular political and military interactions for a collaborative approach to strategic policies.
India and Japan relations perfectly figure in to the above relationship.
- India will not get deep in to Japan disputes and the same is the case with Japan. A mutual cooperation exists on the wider issues where win win situation exists.
Important developments of India – Japan special strategic and global partnership are
- Japan is the only country India allowed to invest in infrastructure in North east.
- There is a joint infrastructure project development – Asia – Africa Growth corridor.
- Japan and India agreed to have annual summits and 2+ 2 format for defence and foreign ministers meeting.
- India is buying ShinMaywa Amphibious ships from Japan.
- Japan is investing in infrastructure development in Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
Nuclear deal in danger
Trump’s continuous tirade against Iran nuclear deal appears to be an end to Obama era pragmatism. Nuclear deal was successfully able to stop Iran form developing a nuclear weapon. Added to this, Iran never violated the deal. In these circumstances USA imposing sanctions against Iran, will set a dangerous precedent in international agreements. Iran nuclear deal being multilateral agreement, President shall end his rhetoric.
A big broom
Government effort to release names of shell companies, Name and shame its directors may not yield sufficient results to fight unaccounted money. In the process, there is a possibility of harassing genuine companies or directors.
The best way forward is to arrest systemic shortcomings.
Tax payer rights and obligations
Indian tax administration system shall move from an enforcement to a service based model. Intentions of reforms are good but they are reactive. DTAA, GAAR, transfer price mechanism, implementation of GST all have challenges.
improvement in taxpayers’ service, enhanced use of information and communication technology, exchange of information with other agencies, expansion of tax base, compliance management, etc. Need to be improved to make tax administration Service oriented.
Beyond social Media
In India Geographical indications (Registration and protection) act 1999 has provided for registration of Geographical indications. There is no effective monitoring mechanism for quality compliance of the same. Unlike this in the European regulation clearly provides for monitoring at multiple levels. India also shall have the same.
NCERT Videos Available at www.laex.in/testprep
NCERT Geography By Sandeep sir,
NCERT Polity BY Rambabu Sir,
Geography Optional By Sandeep Sir ( New Batch Feb) www.laex.in/testprep (Fees:25000/-)
19 February 2018
For India, it should be neighbourhood first
India shall give its fullest attention to south Asia first. It is essential for its claims to regional leadership. India’s growing stature in International affairs do not compensate its loss in Neighbourhood. Developments in the region are becoming unstable and need a greener attention.
Collapse of policy on Pakistan has led to ceasefire violations and increased terror attacks across the border.
Collapse of state in Afghanistan appears imminent like never before. Terrorism and lack of control for Kabul on provinces, increasing chieftains reflect weakness of the state.
Myanmar is on the verge of a democratic crisis with imposition of Emergency. It has come close to china lie never before. Strategically, it serves interests of China in Indian Ocean region.
Conviction and arrest of opposition leader Khaleeda Zia has created a political space for opposition and radical elements are expected to fill that.
PM Oli govt appears not very friendly for India. Anti Indian sentiment are on rise.
Doctors for rural India
Man power shortage hurts rural Indian health Scenario. An alternative cadre of medical practitioners can be created for rural India to work at sub centre level. LMP (licentiate Medical practitioners) existed before Bhore committee recommendations. It can be revived with proper training.
But, it can be criticised as sub standard services are being delivered to rural India. so, creating a sync between existing MBBS and LMP courses is going to be a biggest challenge.
National unity govt has come to power on promises of reconciliation, good governance and development. Narrow political interests and transient political developments shall not derail them.
Supreme Court of India held that –
- candidates contesting elections need to declare source of income.
- A permanent mechanism has to be set to investigate any phenomenal jump in assets after getting elected by a candidate.
- It has made it clear that non disclosure of its assets and their sources would amount to a corrupt practice under section 123 of representation of peoples act 1951.
so, informed citizenry and transparent candidature are expected to drive electoral reforms in the future.
The voice of Pakistan voiceless
Asma Jahangir will be remembered as a fearless advocate for rule of law and human rights in Pakistan.
The Huddle by Hindu
Breaking the Chinese whispers
- India shall take China’s rise as given and work its strategy against that backdrop – shiv Shankar Menon.
- Border dispute shall not derail cooperation and engagement in other areas.
Keep the economy humming
India need to give top priority to restore health of our banks and to improve private investment cycle.