UPSC IAS The Hindu Current Affairs 23 Feb 2018 highlights are:
- They allow for flexibility to continue political engagement and economic cooperation with their common adversary.
- They avoid entrapment of being dragged in to a partners dispute and potentially in to a conflict.
- At the same time, strategic partnership provides for regular political and military interactions for a collaborative approach to strategic policies.
India and Japan relations perfectly figure in to the above relationship.
- India will not get deep in to Japan disputes and the same is the case with Japan. A mutual cooperation exists on the wider issues where win win situation exists.
Important developments of India – Japan special strategic and global partnership are
- Japan is the only country India allowed to invest in infrastructure in North east.
- There is a joint infrastructure project development – Asia – Africa Growth corridor.
- Japan and India agreed to have annual summits and 2+ 2 format for defence and foreign ministers meeting.
- India is buying ShinMaywa Amphibious ships from Japan.
- Japan is investing in infrastructure development in Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
Nuclear deal in danger
Trump’s continuous tirade against Iran nuclear deal appears to be an end to Obama era pragmatism. Nuclear deal was successfully able to stop Iran form developing a nuclear weapon. Added to this, Iran never violated the deal. In these circumstances USA imposing sanctions against Iran, will set a dangerous precedent in international agreements. Iran nuclear deal being multilateral agreement, President shall end his rhetoric.
A big broom
Government effort to release names of shell companies, Name and shame its directors may not yield sufficient results to fight unaccounted money. In the process, there is a possibility of harassing genuine companies or directors.
The best way forward is to arrest systemic shortcomings.
Tax payer rights and obligations
Indian tax administration system shall move from an enforcement to a service based model. Intentions of reforms are good but they are reactive. DTAA, GAAR, transfer price mechanism, implementation of GST all have challenges.
improvement in taxpayers’ service, enhanced use of information and communication technology, exchange of information with other agencies, expansion of tax base, compliance management, etc. Need to be improved to make tax administration Service oriented.
Beyond social Media
In India Geographical indications (Registration and protection) act 1999 has provided for registration of Geographical indications. There is no effective monitoring mechanism for quality compliance of the same. Unlike this in the European regulation clearly provides for monitoring at multiple levels. India also shall have the same.
NCERT Videos Available at www.laex.in/testprep
NCERT Geography By Sandeep sir,
NCERT Polity BY Rambabu Sir,
Geography Optional By Sandeep Sir ( New Batch Feb) www.laex.in/testprep (Fees:25000/-)
23 February 2018
Canada , india refaced over invite to Khalistan activist
Mr.Jaspal Atwal – A member of international Sikh youth federation banned by India and a convict in killing a Punjab minister is part of the delegation of Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau. It has become an embarrassment for both the Governments.
Two benches refer lans acquisition cases to CJI
Previously, a three judge bench headed by Arun Mishra have stated a 2014 judgement delivered by another three judge bench as per incuriam. That is 2014 judgment was rendered with out care for facts and the law.
This is criticised as a judicial indiscipline by the Justice Joseph Kurian – part of the bench of 2014 Judgement. In response to this, two benches headed by Justice Arun Mishra and Justice Goel have referred land acquisition cases to CJI.
Talk like a south Asian
Today Indian imagination of south Asia is dominated by china and Pakistan. India has to see beyond this in to the diversities, knowledge and collaboration to understand the region. On the other side, high handedness of India is creating more problems than solving the existing.
so, India has to collaborate to develop a south Asian project through knowledge and culture.
Planning for electric mobility
India is aiming to transform from combustion engines in to electrical vehicles by 2030. Here the challenges are
- Coordination between centre, state and local Governments.
- Battery manufacturing in India
- Charging infrastructure
- Loss of Jobs in motor industry.
- The best model to move forward
Kamal Hasan has entered in to political tussle in Tamil Nadu. Rajinikant is expected to follow soon. They are essentially trying to pickup the space vacated by Jayalalitha.
Added to this, politics in Tamil Nadu are polarised between AIADMK and DMK. At the cadre level too these parties are divided. In this scenario, creation of a space of their own can be a difficulty. It can only be possible through people metric manifesto. Tamil Nadu, at this point of time needs alternative politics rather than political alternatives. An alternative political formation that can act as a moral force is necessary.
In India, neonatal mortality rate is worse than countries like Rwanda. It can be decreased through a focus on
- Institutional delivery
- Early Pregnancy care
- Breast feeding
- Education of Mother
- Effective stocking of essential goods that can keep child warm.
States like Kerala and Tamil Nadu achieved a remarkable success by implementing above.
Is the supreme court verdict on Cauvery fair
- Supreme court verdict has given both the states some thing to cheer. Though Tamil Nadu lost 14.5TMC of water, establishment of Cauvery management board will ensure timely flow of water. It reduces burden on Tamil Nadu to reach to supreme court for an order to release water.
- There are few grey areas that are remaining. It allocated water to Banglore which is outside the river Basin.
- Demand side management of water is ignored in the Judgment.
- Ground water estimation is not scientific.
An Umbrella for consumer
A new law is expected to replace the existing consumer protection act, 1986. Highlights of this are
- It covers both online and offline sales.
- Multilevel marketing, products hazardous to life (product liability action ) is also part of the act.
- Central consumer protection authority is appointed with powers to investigate, recall, impose penalties.
The bill provides for the state Government to establish a consumer mediation cell to be attached to each of the district commissions and state commissions.