UPSC IAS The Hindu Current Affairs 08 March 2018 highlights are:
- They allow for flexibility to continue political engagement and economic cooperation with their common adversary.
- They avoid entrapment of being dragged in to a partners dispute and potentially in to a conflict.
- At the same time, strategic partnership provides for regular political and military interactions for a collaborative approach to strategic policies.
India and Japan relations perfectly figure in to the above relationship.
- India will not get deep in to Japan disputes and the same is the case with Japan. A mutual cooperation exists on the wider issues where win win situation exists.
Important developments of India – Japan special strategic and global partnership are
- Japan is the only country India allowed to invest in infrastructure in North east.
- There is a joint infrastructure project development – Asia – Africa Growth corridor.
- Japan and India agreed to have annual summits and 2+ 2 format for defence and foreign ministers meeting.
- India is buying ShinMaywa Amphibious ships from Japan.
- Japan is investing in infrastructure development in Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
Nuclear deal in danger
Trump’s continuous tirade against Iran nuclear deal appears to be an end to Obama era pragmatism. Nuclear deal was successfully able to stop Iran form developing a nuclear weapon. Added to this, Iran never violated the deal. In these circumstances USA imposing sanctions against Iran, will set a dangerous precedent in international agreements. Iran nuclear deal being multilateral agreement, President shall end his rhetoric.
A big broom
Government effort to release names of shell companies, Name and shame its directors may not yield sufficient results to fight unaccounted money. In the process, there is a possibility of harassing genuine companies or directors.
The best way forward is to arrest systemic shortcomings.
Tax payer rights and obligations
Indian tax administration system shall move from an enforcement to a service based model. Intentions of reforms are good but they are reactive. DTAA, GAAR, transfer price mechanism, implementation of GST all have challenges.
improvement in taxpayers’ service, enhanced use of information and communication technology, exchange of information with other agencies, expansion of tax base, compliance management, etc. Need to be improved to make tax administration Service oriented.
Beyond social Media
In India Geographical indications (Registration and protection) act 1999 has provided for registration of Geographical indications. There is no effective monitoring mechanism for quality compliance of the same. Unlike this in the European regulation clearly provides for monitoring at multiple levels. India also shall have the same.
NCERT Videos Available at www.laex.in/testprep
NCERT Geography By Sandeep sir,
NCERT Polity BY Rambabu Sir,
Geography Optional By Sandeep Sir ( New Batch Feb) www.laex.in/testprep (Fees:25000/-)
08 March 2018
Prime Minister flays vandalism on statues
Periyar is remembered for self respect movement in Tamil nadu. He envisaged a Dravida homeland of Dravidanadu and launched a political party, Dravidar Kazhagam. He actively participated in Vaikom satyagraha. He stands for politics foregrounded in social equality, self respect and linguistic pride.
Be alert to Operation Dhakka
- Vandalism, force and violence has no place in democracy.
- People are expected to be vigilant to understand impact of vandalism on Indianness.
- In a democracy, citizens have a responsibility to hold parties accountable.
Ecologically subsidised city
East Kolkatta wetlands are the natural sinks and they act as natural sewage treatment plants. They are recognised as Ramsar site. They are economically very important for local communities.
Benefits caused by wetlands are not calculated and it do not get in to GDP accounting. It is one of the reason for over exploitation of ecological resources. Green accounting practices if developed, it can raise the consciousness of citizens and state on ecology.
India has a target to achieve 100GW of solar power by 2022. In this 40 GW is expected to come from roof tops. As on today, solar installations on roof tops is not as expected. Benguluru declared an aerial mission to produce a three dimensional roof top power potential using LIDAR(Light detection and ranging).
Added to this, solar power can get a big boost, if policy is able to provide tax incentives and subsidies on manufacturing of photo voltaic cells.
The power of Numbers
Data related to sexual violence in community and work place is underreported. The reasons are
- Sensitivity of information asked from woman.
- Lack of anonymity.
- Different perceptions of sexual violence in the society.
Added to this,
Sexual violence against woman is increasing in work places and public places. Immediate steps towards gender equality are necessary. Objective collection of data is a crucial step towards breaking silence.
Our toasters are brave
Human dependancy on electronics and internet is increasing. Internet of Things takes it to a new level. Along with benefits of new technology, concerns of Privacy and safety are also on rise.
Peace on Peninsula
History of Korea , six party talks, rapprochement between two Koreas.