UPSC IAS The Hindu Current Affairs 09 March 2018 highlights are:
- They allow for flexibility to continue political engagement and economic cooperation with their common adversary.
- They avoid entrapment of being dragged in to a partners dispute and potentially in to a conflict.
- At the same time, strategic partnership provides for regular political and military interactions for a collaborative approach to strategic policies.
India and Japan relations perfectly figure in to the above relationship.
- India will not get deep in to Japan disputes and the same is the case with Japan. A mutual cooperation exists on the wider issues where win win situation exists.
Important developments of India – Japan special strategic and global partnership are
- Japan is the only country India allowed to invest in infrastructure in North east.
- There is a joint infrastructure project development – Asia – Africa Growth corridor.
- Japan and India agreed to have annual summits and 2+ 2 format for defence and foreign ministers meeting.
- India is buying ShinMaywa Amphibious ships from Japan.
- Japan is investing in infrastructure development in Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
Nuclear deal in danger
Trump’s continuous tirade against Iran nuclear deal appears to be an end to Obama era pragmatism. Nuclear deal was successfully able to stop Iran form developing a nuclear weapon. Added to this, Iran never violated the deal. In these circumstances USA imposing sanctions against Iran, will set a dangerous precedent in international agreements. Iran nuclear deal being multilateral agreement, President shall end his rhetoric.
A big broom
Government effort to release names of shell companies, Name and shame its directors may not yield sufficient results to fight unaccounted money. In the process, there is a possibility of harassing genuine companies or directors.
The best way forward is to arrest systemic shortcomings.
Tax payer rights and obligations
Indian tax administration system shall move from an enforcement to a service based model. Intentions of reforms are good but they are reactive. DTAA, GAAR, transfer price mechanism, implementation of GST all have challenges.
improvement in taxpayers’ service, enhanced use of information and communication technology, exchange of information with other agencies, expansion of tax base, compliance management, etc. Need to be improved to make tax administration Service oriented.
Beyond social Media
In India Geographical indications (Registration and protection) act 1999 has provided for registration of Geographical indications. There is no effective monitoring mechanism for quality compliance of the same. Unlike this in the European regulation clearly provides for monitoring at multiple levels. India also shall have the same.
NCERT Videos Available at www.laex.in/testprep
NCERT Geography By Sandeep sir,
NCERT Polity BY Rambabu Sir,
Geography Optional By Sandeep Sir ( New Batch Feb) www.laex.in/testprep (Fees:25000/-)
09 March 2018
TDP leaders meet Modi, resign from Union cabinet
Coalition politics involves contestation and bargaining of benefits among the coalition partners. TDP stating union Government did not provide for necessary assistance it promised for the state, quit the coalition.
Female Foeticide a shame :Prime Minister Modi
Prime Minister Modi in a program in Rajasthan mean to expand Beti Bachao, Beti padhao program has stated that – let us resolve that the same number of girls will be born as the number of boys.
He also Launched a national Nutrition Mission aimed at improving nutrition levels of women and children and reducing low birth weight by 2% each year.
Union govt to set up arbitration council
Govt of India gave nod to Arbitration and conciliation (amendment) Bill 2018. In an effort to make India a goal hub for arbitration, Government intends to set up Arbitration council.
Friends with benefits
Coalitions run on electoral prospects and ideological congruence. Though BJP and TDP are not ideologically congruent, common electoral prospects have brought them together. On the other side, division of state of Andhra Pradesh has pushed AP in to financial crisis. Centre’s lack of attention towards AP is the reason for the TDP to walk out of union Government.
Special category status is the demand of AP. It was promised on the floor of the house by then Prime Minister Man Mohan singh. Centre states acceptance of 14th finance commission decision makes it impossible for it to offer the status to any new state.
Chance for peace
Korean peninsula appears to be moving towards peace. North Korean leader offered his willingness to engage in talks on denuclearisation , if his regime is secured and military threat is eliminated.
North Korea participation in winter olympics, visit of South Korean delegation to North Korea all are signals for a peace process. South Korean President Moon Jae in need to be praised for his trust in peace process through out.
It is the time USA need to build trust and shall take opportunity for a peaceful Korean Peninsula.
In Pakistan, its advantage Shariff
Remember these points
- Punjab is the largest province in Pakistan and it is an asymmetrical federation.
- Women enjoys reservation in national Assembly in Pakistan.
A New NAM for the New Norm
Non Aligned movement was seen as a response to cold war era politics. In reality, it is about freedom of thought and action, strategic autonomy to the newly independant countries. India was instrumental in building NAM and sustaining it. NAM served developing countries and India in Particular. NAM was able to block US effort to include Germany, Japan in UNSC and to permanently close it for further expansion.
But, 2016 NAM summit was not attended Prime Minister Modi and it clearly shows loss of interest of India in it. Changing dynamics also prove the same. India is moving close to USA and diplomacy has more become transactional.
As the world is changing, there are multiple poles that are emerging. USA, China and Russia have become dominant poles. This scenario needs a resurrection of NAM with new characters. It can be called as NAM2.0
The characteristics of NAM 2.0 can be
- It has to set new standards for what powerful can do. India legitimacy in it comes from its ability to stand for the highest human and universal values and at the global level India shall be true to it aspiration to create a new and alternative universality.
- Non alignment today involves management of complex coalitions in structurally fluid environment.
- India for its strategic and foreign policy to be successful, India must sustain domestic economic growth, social inclusion and democracy.
- IBSA with similar interests with out ideological conflicts can be a best model to start with for NAM2.0
- NAM 2.0 shall allow countries to pursue their relations with USA, Russia and China with out unduly influencing coalition to their favour.
Should the left align with congress
- It is more a debate between socialism and secularism. If secularism is prioritised, both of them are expected to come close. but, on economic front congress more or less follows Neo liberal ideology which BJP is continuing.
- In Long term, popular mobilisation through grass root movements can be a way forward for left. Ideological rejuvenation and alliances built from below through popular movements can be the way forward.
- Left have to come out of its dogmatic thinking and shall be able to adopt to changing world. For instance, mondragon corporation experiment in Spain can be an alternative to its present model of state ownership. On religion front, Laitn American Liberation theology can be studied.