UPSC IAS The Hindu Current Affairs 15 March 2018 highlights are:
- They allow for flexibility to continue political engagement and economic cooperation with their common adversary.
- They avoid entrapment of being dragged in to a partners dispute and potentially in to a conflict.
- At the same time, strategic partnership provides for regular political and military interactions for a collaborative approach to strategic policies.
India and Japan relations perfectly figure in to the above relationship.
- India will not get deep in to Japan disputes and the same is the case with Japan. A mutual cooperation exists on the wider issues where win win situation exists.
Important developments of India – Japan special strategic and global partnership are
- Japan is the only country India allowed to invest in infrastructure in North east.
- There is a joint infrastructure project development – Asia – Africa Growth corridor.
- Japan and India agreed to have annual summits and 2+ 2 format for defence and foreign ministers meeting.
- India is buying ShinMaywa Amphibious ships from Japan.
- Japan is investing in infrastructure development in Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
Nuclear deal in danger
Trump’s continuous tirade against Iran nuclear deal appears to be an end to Obama era pragmatism. Nuclear deal was successfully able to stop Iran form developing a nuclear weapon. Added to this, Iran never violated the deal. In these circumstances USA imposing sanctions against Iran, will set a dangerous precedent in international agreements. Iran nuclear deal being multilateral agreement, President shall end his rhetoric.
A big broom
Government effort to release names of shell companies, Name and shame its directors may not yield sufficient results to fight unaccounted money. In the process, there is a possibility of harassing genuine companies or directors.
The best way forward is to arrest systemic shortcomings.
Tax payer rights and obligations
Indian tax administration system shall move from an enforcement to a service based model. Intentions of reforms are good but they are reactive. DTAA, GAAR, transfer price mechanism, implementation of GST all have challenges.
improvement in taxpayers’ service, enhanced use of information and communication technology, exchange of information with other agencies, expansion of tax base, compliance management, etc. Need to be improved to make tax administration Service oriented.
Beyond social Media
In India Geographical indications (Registration and protection) act 1999 has provided for registration of Geographical indications. There is no effective monitoring mechanism for quality compliance of the same. Unlike this in the European regulation clearly provides for monitoring at multiple levels. India also shall have the same.
NCERT Videos Available at www.laex.in/testprep
NCERT Geography By Sandeep sir,
NCERT Polity BY Rambabu Sir,
Geography Optional By Sandeep Sir ( New Batch Feb) www.laex.in/testprep (Fees:25000/-)
15 March 2018
The Man who traced the history of time dies
Stephen hawking – Physicist, cosmologist passed away. He did extensive work on gravity, Black holes and origin of the universe. He is the first to pronounce emission of radiation from black holes. He authored – A Brief History of time – From the big bang to Black holes.
Curb misuse of social Media, says Rajnath
Home minister Rajnath singh expressed concerns over rising cyber crime and misuse of social media.
No bank regulator can catch all Frauds : RBI governor
Mr. Patel has expressed various concerns related to banking regulation
- Banking regulatory powers are not ownership neutral. RBI did not have power to supersede public sector bank boards. It limits regulator to take effective action against them.
The Left doesn’t need the congress
There are two major reasons stated for the alignment of left with congress
- To have a united front to fight ultra nationalist hindu right.
- To arrest the fall and irrelevance of Left.
- a) If history is observed, alignment of left with other political parties which are ideologically different has decimated it. For example, in Italy alliance between Italian communist party and christian democrats have decimated communists.
- b) If congress and Left are aligned, voters will have only two choices and it makes easy to polarise the voters. If congress and left are separate they can present left and centrist choices to BJP.
- c) Congress as a party believes in Neo liberalism and free market economics and it is not ideologically in alignment with left.
Far short of potential
India – Japan economic relationship remains underwhelming in relation to strategic ties. India and Japan have good Government to Government relations but not Business to business relations. Major reasons are
- Cultural differences
- Market differences
Japanese industry is failing to understand these. In the scenario, partnerships with locals can be helpful and already Panasonic and Tata entered in to partnership to develop smart solutions.
Another is, India can be used by Japanese industry as a manufacturing base for markets in Africa.
A Political choice
All Cross border terror attacks on India do not develop same response. Precipitation of a terror event in to crisis depends on
- Media reporting
- Succession of attacks
- Political choice.
Among all of the above, political choice of action appears to be the most important one.
India’s intervention in Bangladesh in 1971 achieved many strategic objectives.
- Bengali uprising has provided India with an opportunity of century. India is able to eliminate threat of two front war.
- New country in eastern Neighbourhood can be converted in to a potential ally. If not, it will not be a potential threat as like east pakistan.
- Most of the refugees came from east Pakistan are hindus and border districts of India are muslim dominant. There was potential danger of communal strife.
So, economic and political aspect of refugee problem rather than humanitarian aspect of the refugee problem that was important to delhi.