UPSC IAS The Hindu Current Affairs 17 March 2018 highlights are:
- They allow for flexibility to continue political engagement and economic cooperation with their common adversary.
- They avoid entrapment of being dragged in to a partners dispute and potentially in to a conflict.
- At the same time, strategic partnership provides for regular political and military interactions for a collaborative approach to strategic policies.
India and Japan relations perfectly figure in to the above relationship.
- India will not get deep in to Japan disputes and the same is the case with Japan. A mutual cooperation exists on the wider issues where win win situation exists.
Important developments of India – Japan special strategic and global partnership are
- Japan is the only country India allowed to invest in infrastructure in North east.
- There is a joint infrastructure project development – Asia – Africa Growth corridor.
- Japan and India agreed to have annual summits and 2+ 2 format for defence and foreign ministers meeting.
- India is buying ShinMaywa Amphibious ships from Japan.
- Japan is investing in infrastructure development in Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
Nuclear deal in danger
Trump’s continuous tirade against Iran nuclear deal appears to be an end to Obama era pragmatism. Nuclear deal was successfully able to stop Iran form developing a nuclear weapon. Added to this, Iran never violated the deal. In these circumstances USA imposing sanctions against Iran, will set a dangerous precedent in international agreements. Iran nuclear deal being multilateral agreement, President shall end his rhetoric.
A big broom
Government effort to release names of shell companies, Name and shame its directors may not yield sufficient results to fight unaccounted money. In the process, there is a possibility of harassing genuine companies or directors.
The best way forward is to arrest systemic shortcomings.
Tax payer rights and obligations
Indian tax administration system shall move from an enforcement to a service based model. Intentions of reforms are good but they are reactive. DTAA, GAAR, transfer price mechanism, implementation of GST all have challenges.
improvement in taxpayers’ service, enhanced use of information and communication technology, exchange of information with other agencies, expansion of tax base, compliance management, etc. Need to be improved to make tax administration Service oriented.
Beyond social Media
In India Geographical indications (Registration and protection) act 1999 has provided for registration of Geographical indications. There is no effective monitoring mechanism for quality compliance of the same. Unlike this in the European regulation clearly provides for monitoring at multiple levels. India also shall have the same.
NCERT Videos Available at www.laex.in/testprep
NCERT Geography By Sandeep sir,
NCERT Polity BY Rambabu Sir,
Geography Optional By Sandeep Sir ( New Batch Feb) www.laex.in/testprep (Fees:25000/-)
17 March 2018
TDP moves no confidence motion after quitting NDA
TDP, a regional party from AP has moved a No confidence motion against the Government. As BJP has majority of its own in the parliament, it has no immediate danger due to this.
Opinions to note
- Asymmetrical treatment of different states in a federal polity can lead to divisive tendencies.
- Regional parties are looking for a come back in national politics in 2019 elections.
- In coalition politics, bargaining federalism has become a norm.
- Prime Minister in coalition era is more a negotiator than a leader.
Won’t touch Ram Sethu : Government to SC
Government of India has stated to SC that it will not disturb Ram sethu, an underwater coral bridge in Indian ocean for building Sethsamudram shipping canal project.
The self-binding Russia Prism
USA is dominated by view that president Trump and Russia colluded with each other. It is harming relations between the countries in two ways.
- USA president is defensive to go for an active outreach to Russia. Added to this, he was forced to declare Russia as a number uno enemy for USA. Revival of great power rivalry is clearly visible in National security strategy and national posture review of USA.
- Military expenditure in both countries is on rise. USA is about to spend a $trillion to modernise its nuclear weapons.
- This narrative is dangerous to USA democracy for the reason that, it disenfranchises USA citizens and delegitimises its democratic process.
The long fight against TB
If fight on TB has to be effective there has to be a strong fight against infection, progression and transmission.
- Early diagnosis through skin test for latent TB and decreasing exposure to infected individual plays a key role.
- Partnership with private sector is essential for early diagnosis.
- Universal primary care is essential for early diagnosis of TB.
- Screening of all children in an age window of 5-10years