UPSC IAS The Hindu Current Affairs 22 March 2018 highlights are:
- They allow for flexibility to continue political engagement and economic cooperation with their common adversary.
- They avoid entrapment of being dragged in to a partners dispute and potentially in to a conflict.
- At the same time, strategic partnership provides for regular political and military interactions for a collaborative approach to strategic policies.
India and Japan relations perfectly figure in to the above relationship.
- India will not get deep in to Japan disputes and the same is the case with Japan. A mutual cooperation exists on the wider issues where win win situation exists.
Important developments of India – Japan special strategic and global partnership are
- Japan is the only country India allowed to invest in infrastructure in North east.
- There is a joint infrastructure project development – Asia – Africa Growth corridor.
- Japan and India agreed to have annual summits and 2+ 2 format for defence and foreign ministers meeting.
- India is buying ShinMaywa Amphibious ships from Japan.
- Japan is investing in infrastructure development in Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
Nuclear deal in danger
Trump’s continuous tirade against Iran nuclear deal appears to be an end to Obama era pragmatism. Nuclear deal was successfully able to stop Iran form developing a nuclear weapon. Added to this, Iran never violated the deal. In these circumstances USA imposing sanctions against Iran, will set a dangerous precedent in international agreements. Iran nuclear deal being multilateral agreement, President shall end his rhetoric.
A big broom
Government effort to release names of shell companies, Name and shame its directors may not yield sufficient results to fight unaccounted money. In the process, there is a possibility of harassing genuine companies or directors.
The best way forward is to arrest systemic shortcomings.
Tax payer rights and obligations
Indian tax administration system shall move from an enforcement to a service based model. Intentions of reforms are good but they are reactive. DTAA, GAAR, transfer price mechanism, implementation of GST all have challenges.
improvement in taxpayers’ service, enhanced use of information and communication technology, exchange of information with other agencies, expansion of tax base, compliance management, etc. Need to be improved to make tax administration Service oriented.
Beyond social Media
In India Geographical indications (Registration and protection) act 1999 has provided for registration of Geographical indications. There is no effective monitoring mechanism for quality compliance of the same. Unlike this in the European regulation clearly provides for monitoring at multiple levels. India also shall have the same.
NCERT Videos Available at www.laex.in/testprep
NCERT Geography By Sandeep sir,
NCERT Polity BY Rambabu Sir,
Geography Optional By Sandeep Sir ( New Batch Feb) www.laex.in/testprep (Fees:25000/-)
22 March 2018
BJP, Cong trade charges over use of data analytics firm
Cambridge analytica – is in the middle of the storm for using Facebook data to understand voter behaviour in USA presidential elections. It is alleged that same firm also has offered data analytical services to BJP and congress in india.
Plea to deregister political parties is opposed
As on today Election commission of India can register a party but can not deregister them. In this scenario, it is recommended that election commission need to be empowered to deregister a political party under section 29A of RPA 1951, if its office bearers are convicted for any crimes.
Ayushman Bharat health scheme
- The scheme will provide a cover of rs 5lakh per family per year.
- The target beneficiaries will be more than 10crore of families belonging to poor and vulnerable population.
- There is no bar on family size or age.
- All secondary and tertiary care procedures are covered.
- It subsumes the ongoing centrally sponsored schemes – Rashtriya swasthya Bima Yojana and senior citizens health insurance scheme.
Read the distress signals
Note the points
- Farm prices are kept suppressed for a long period of time to keep industrial wages low.
- Subsidies given to farming sector are failing to reach actual beneficiary.
- The biggest concern for India is to reduce the burden on agriculture.
- Rising MSP can decrease necessary incentive for crop diversification for farmer.
- Loan waivers are bad economics.
In india, agriculture suffers from under employment and low productivity. Small land holdings and higher dependance on the agriculture are the reasons. It is leading to under employment and livelihood concerns.
so, making agriculture a market based enterprise, to create opportunities outside farming, to connect farmers to the value chain from farm to fork, to remove restrictions on the export of farm produce, easier land transfers like leasing, encouraging crop diversification and land consolidation that reverses fragmentation are essential.
Govt of India need to be applauded for various steps it took.
- neem coated urea
- Direct benefit transfer
- Soil cards
- Giving tax holiday to farm producer organisations. etc.
China has revamped structure of the Government through introduction of vice president and vice premier etc. Added to this, National supervision commission, financial stability and development commission are created to fight corruption and to provide policy direction to economy.
On the other hand, concentration of power in Xi hand has increased criticism and many of sections of the society it as an antithetical to the idea of collective leadership.
Conserve every drop
Grave water situation in cape town in south Africa is a wake up call for every body across the globe, it indicates a grave situation ahead of us.
How we understand water, value and manage water as a precious resource will direct our action towards it.
today, we understand water as surplus, ever expandable resource. So, it is a good not valued and taken for granted. Management of water suffers from wastage. so, safe, acceptable , accessible and affordable water need to be the goal. Reduce , reuse and recycle need to be the way forward.