UPSC IAS The Hindu Current Affairs 23 March 2018 highlights are:
- They allow for flexibility to continue political engagement and economic cooperation with their common adversary.
- They avoid entrapment of being dragged in to a partners dispute and potentially in to a conflict.
- At the same time, strategic partnership provides for regular political and military interactions for a collaborative approach to strategic policies.
India and Japan relations perfectly figure in to the above relationship.
- India will not get deep in to Japan disputes and the same is the case with Japan. A mutual cooperation exists on the wider issues where win win situation exists.
Important developments of India – Japan special strategic and global partnership are
- Japan is the only country India allowed to invest in infrastructure in North east.
- There is a joint infrastructure project development – Asia – Africa Growth corridor.
- Japan and India agreed to have annual summits and 2+ 2 format for defence and foreign ministers meeting.
- India is buying ShinMaywa Amphibious ships from Japan.
- Japan is investing in infrastructure development in Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
Nuclear deal in danger
Trump’s continuous tirade against Iran nuclear deal appears to be an end to Obama era pragmatism. Nuclear deal was successfully able to stop Iran form developing a nuclear weapon. Added to this, Iran never violated the deal. In these circumstances USA imposing sanctions against Iran, will set a dangerous precedent in international agreements. Iran nuclear deal being multilateral agreement, President shall end his rhetoric.
A big broom
Government effort to release names of shell companies, Name and shame its directors may not yield sufficient results to fight unaccounted money. In the process, there is a possibility of harassing genuine companies or directors.
The best way forward is to arrest systemic shortcomings.
Tax payer rights and obligations
Indian tax administration system shall move from an enforcement to a service based model. Intentions of reforms are good but they are reactive. DTAA, GAAR, transfer price mechanism, implementation of GST all have challenges.
improvement in taxpayers’ service, enhanced use of information and communication technology, exchange of information with other agencies, expansion of tax base, compliance management, etc. Need to be improved to make tax administration Service oriented.
Beyond social Media
In India Geographical indications (Registration and protection) act 1999 has provided for registration of Geographical indications. There is no effective monitoring mechanism for quality compliance of the same. Unlike this in the European regulation clearly provides for monitoring at multiple levels. India also shall have the same.
NCERT Videos Available at www.laex.in/testprep
NCERT Geography By Sandeep sir,
NCERT Polity BY Rambabu Sir,
Geography Optional By Sandeep Sir ( New Batch Feb) www.laex.in/testprep (Fees:25000/-)
23 March 2018
UIDAI chief defends safety of Aadhar data before Supreme Court
UIDAI chief Ajay Bushan Pandey has unambiguously stated that – Aadhar is secure and well encrypted. Other highlights are
- Aadhar offered a billion plus population a robust, life time, nationally online, verifiable identity. He termed Aadhar as a portable entitlement against poverty.
- 100% authentication free Aadhar system cannot be developed. If Aadhar biometric authentication fails there are alternatives demographics and electronic OTP.
Cong plans privilege motion against Sushma
Congress announced its decision to move a privilege motion against external Affairs minister Sushma Swaraj on misleading the nation on Indian killed in iraq.
FB apologises for breach of trust
FB chief Mark Zuckerberg has expressed his apologies for breach of privacy of its users.
Trump orders curbs on Chinese goods, investments
In a fundamental shift in the American approach, president Trump imposed curbs on Chinese goods, investments. He accused them as forcing American companies to shed their intellectual property rights.
Chinese investments are accused to be promoting strategic interests of china rather than meant to make profits.
10 Missions on anvil to boost exports
Govt of India os focussing on 12 champion services to boost exports. Govt of India is planning to develop coastal clusters, changes in industrial policy to boost exports.
CA, Facebook and You
Cambridge analytica appears to have used behavioural micro targeting and psychographic messaging for Donald Trump campaign. In this context, data protection laws to protect the privacy of citizens is very important. In this scenario, following points are important
- Laws need to be reframed to the changing technology.
- Politics and elections need to be kept out of social media, fake news. Strong regulation is necessary.
- There need to be clear laws on data ownership and data protection.
- It is a settled law that mere scope for misuse of an act is not a ground to invalidate it.
Today, SC, ST prevention of atrocities act is facing a challenge of misuse. Supreme Court of India has ruled that section 18 that bars anticipatory bail is not absolute. It also allowed for protection to public servants stating that no arrest can be made with out the written permission of the official’s appointing authority. In regard to private citizens, arrest need to be authorised by senior superintendent of police in the district.
Terms of separation
Lingayats are demanding for their recognition as a separate religion. They expect themselves to be differentiated from Hindus.
Ligayats are the followers of Basava and they have evolved an elaborate rituals to mark the distinctiveness of their Dharma from Brahminism. They reject temple worship and forbid animal sacrifice.
Mysore state in 1881 has recorded it as a caste in hindu religion. They are today considered as hindus along with Veera shaivities.
Why a separate religion?
- Lingayats are a dominant caste in Karnataka and are seeking a separate identity of their own.
- As Lingayats are interpreted as part of Hinduism, distinctiveness of their dharma is lost.
- Ligayat culture is though against casteism, recognising it as a caste made its philosophy to lose its strength.
- Minority status gives the religion necessary constitutional Guarantees and securities.
Meeting India’s electricity needs
Indian electricity needs can not be met by renewable sources of energy alone. solar, wind can not have predictability. so, maintenance of generators etc to meet peak load is adding to the costs.
Is the economy back on track?
- As on Today, data collected is from corporate sector and it is showing signs of growing.
- Informal sector data is not yet collected. There is a decline in demand in unorganised sector. It can be seen in lack of momentum in capacity utilisation. Employment is not rising. These indicate a bad health for unorganised sector.
Banking sector is still in doldrums.