UPSC IAS The Hindu Current Affairs 29 March 2018 highlights are:
- They allow for flexibility to continue political engagement and economic cooperation with their common adversary.
- They avoid entrapment of being dragged in to a partners dispute and potentially in to a conflict.
- At the same time, strategic partnership provides for regular political and military interactions for a collaborative approach to strategic policies.
India and Japan relations perfectly figure in to the above relationship.
- India will not get deep in to Japan disputes and the same is the case with Japan. A mutual cooperation exists on the wider issues where win win situation exists.
Important developments of India – Japan special strategic and global partnership are
- Japan is the only country India allowed to invest in infrastructure in North east.
- There is a joint infrastructure project development – Asia – Africa Growth corridor.
- Japan and India agreed to have annual summits and 2+ 2 format for defence and foreign ministers meeting.
- India is buying ShinMaywa Amphibious ships from Japan.
- Japan is investing in infrastructure development in Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
Nuclear deal in danger
Trump’s continuous tirade against Iran nuclear deal appears to be an end to Obama era pragmatism. Nuclear deal was successfully able to stop Iran form developing a nuclear weapon. Added to this, Iran never violated the deal. In these circumstances USA imposing sanctions against Iran, will set a dangerous precedent in international agreements. Iran nuclear deal being multilateral agreement, President shall end his rhetoric.
A big broom
Government effort to release names of shell companies, Name and shame its directors may not yield sufficient results to fight unaccounted money. In the process, there is a possibility of harassing genuine companies or directors.
The best way forward is to arrest systemic shortcomings.
Tax payer rights and obligations
Indian tax administration system shall move from an enforcement to a service based model. Intentions of reforms are good but they are reactive. DTAA, GAAR, transfer price mechanism, implementation of GST all have challenges.
improvement in taxpayers’ service, enhanced use of information and communication technology, exchange of information with other agencies, expansion of tax base, compliance management, etc. Need to be improved to make tax administration Service oriented.
Beyond social Media
In India Geographical indications (Registration and protection) act 1999 has provided for registration of Geographical indications. There is no effective monitoring mechanism for quality compliance of the same. Unlike this in the European regulation clearly provides for monitoring at multiple levels. India also shall have the same.
Prelims Roundup (2000) –www.laex.in/testprep
NCERT Videos Available at www.laex.in/testprep
29 March 2018
When development brings loss
Arturo Escobar – encountering development
- Developmental theory is a colonial imperialism and an ideological export.
- It has used poverty in the third world for the purpose of reasserting its moral and cultural superiority.
- Developmental planning it made people as subjects of development.
Sending the wrong signal
Supreme court of India recent judgement in improving safeguards against the Misuse of SC/ST prevention of atrocities act need to be reviewed. It is inconsistent with many findings of National crime records Bureau. There is decline in conviction rate for crimes against Dalits and atrocities against them are increasing.
Curbing the Khaps
- Khaps can not function as kangaroo courts making mockery of rule of law in the country.
- There are a representation of entrenched feudal and patriarchal mindset.
- Khap diktats on marriage between two consented adults is agains their choice, autonomy, liberty in decision making.
- It is the duty of the state to protect these young married couple.
Out of favour
Foreign investors are selling their bonds. The major reasons are
- Govt fiscal deficit is increasing , inflation concerns are reducing yields on bonds.
- US fed is rising interest rates making west an attractive place.
Cousins under the skin
Most of the Asian countries have a son preference. It is the reason for skewed sex ratio. South Korea is able to beat this through a set of social, legal and behavioural measures. They are
- Broader access to old age security.
- Better prosecution of violators of sex selective abortions.
- Better enforced equal inheritance laws
- Cultural inducements like allowing parents to choose their maternal/paternal surnames to their children etc
A solar gear shift
India is focussing on changing its energy mix. Solar energy is given due preference in this through capital subsidies and trade regulations. Thy have their own limitations.
- Anti competition implications – WTO ruled against India on domestic content requirement.
- India can fail to be complaint with global trade regime with regulations on solar panels.
- Trade restrictions can increase cost of production of solar energy.
Opposition unites to support farmers bills
Two bills pushed by All India Kisan sangharsh samiti – on loan waivers and assured legally guaranteed right to minimum support prices gained the support of opposition.
Steps needed to improve collegium system
Supreme court in a judgement highlighted
- Setting up of independant secretariat.
- Corrective measures to be taken against post appointment conduct or inadequate performance or failure to uphold righteous conduct by sitting judges.