UPSC IAS The Hindu Current Affairs 30 March 2018 highlights are:
- They allow for flexibility to continue political engagement and economic cooperation with their common adversary.
- They avoid entrapment of being dragged in to a partners dispute and potentially in to a conflict.
- At the same time, strategic partnership provides for regular political and military interactions for a collaborative approach to strategic policies.
India and Japan relations perfectly figure in to the above relationship.
- India will not get deep in to Japan disputes and the same is the case with Japan. A mutual cooperation exists on the wider issues where win win situation exists.
Important developments of India – Japan special strategic and global partnership are
- Japan is the only country India allowed to invest in infrastructure in North east.
- There is a joint infrastructure project development – Asia – Africa Growth corridor.
- Japan and India agreed to have annual summits and 2+ 2 format for defence and foreign ministers meeting.
- India is buying ShinMaywa Amphibious ships from Japan.
- Japan is investing in infrastructure development in Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
Nuclear deal in danger
Trump’s continuous tirade against Iran nuclear deal appears to be an end to Obama era pragmatism. Nuclear deal was successfully able to stop Iran form developing a nuclear weapon. Added to this, Iran never violated the deal. In these circumstances USA imposing sanctions against Iran, will set a dangerous precedent in international agreements. Iran nuclear deal being multilateral agreement, President shall end his rhetoric.
A big broom
Government effort to release names of shell companies, Name and shame its directors may not yield sufficient results to fight unaccounted money. In the process, there is a possibility of harassing genuine companies or directors.
The best way forward is to arrest systemic shortcomings.
Tax payer rights and obligations
Indian tax administration system shall move from an enforcement to a service based model. Intentions of reforms are good but they are reactive. DTAA, GAAR, transfer price mechanism, implementation of GST all have challenges.
improvement in taxpayers’ service, enhanced use of information and communication technology, exchange of information with other agencies, expansion of tax base, compliance management, etc. Need to be improved to make tax administration Service oriented.
Beyond social Media
In India Geographical indications (Registration and protection) act 1999 has provided for registration of Geographical indications. There is no effective monitoring mechanism for quality compliance of the same. Unlike this in the European regulation clearly provides for monitoring at multiple levels. India also shall have the same.
Prelims Roundup (2000) –www.laex.in/testprep
NCERT Videos Available at www.laex.in/testprep
30 March 2018
- Tamil nadu to file contempt plea on Cauvery scheme.
- GSAT 6A gives India bigger eye in the sky
- Stay on trial will only be valid only for 6 months: SC
Supreme Court of India held that any stay of a criminal or corruption trial or Civil case, will be valid only fro 6 months.
- Cabinet approves education reforms
Govt is planning to bring in SSA, RMSA and teacher training under one single banner in a new education program.
Skill courses are being introduced from class 6 in future.
A 20% incentive is placed for the states for learning based outcomes.
Time to reach out across the border
India and Pakistan need to improve diplomatic relations and shall offer necessary diplomatic niceties to each other. Both the countries have a bilateral code of conduct to protect diplomatic personnel , guaranteeing them freedom from harassment. Many a times, harassment and il treatment happens due to lack knowledge of local authorities. Creating them sufficient knowledge on how to deal with a diplomat of an enemy country is essential.
Aggressive surveillance of diplomatic personnel is normal in both the countries. Improper and inhumane treatment of spies from each other are also normal. Espionage is part of statecraft and both countries need to develop civilised ways to deal with people caught on charges of espionage.
All that’s been left unsaid
A leader need to articulate a vision to the country. Though there is a fading aura of Prime Minister Modi in the country, congress is unable to create an alternate agenda to mobilise people. Elections are not just about contestation of people and parties, it is also about ideas.
There are two issues in the leakage of CBSE news paper.
- Can One single annual exam determine effort and learning of a child over a period of an year?
- How can we change the existing system to keep it fool proof?
National testing agency can be established to conduct exams. India can have a multiple assessments to assess the learning and aptitude of the child in the place of single exam.
Kim In Beijing
Kim’s visit strategically brings China in to North Korea’s hectic diplomatic calendar.
China wants a peaceful Korean peaceful. It fears that any unrest can lead to involvement of outside forces. so, it was not particularly happy about North Korea’s tests. so, it has supported sanctions against north korea. As largest trade partner, china involvement is essential to reign in North korea. China is the country that was helpful in starting six party talks in the first place.
So, Kim’s meeting with President Moon Jae in and President Trump are awaited. This trip definitely shows that Kim is serious.
Should gambling be legalised?
- Gambling is a natural instinct and it is difficult to be stoped. If legalised, it can be better regulated.
- Gambling is seen as a legitimate form recreation. Indian laws did not keep pace with it.
- If an activity is declared as illegal and it is not properly controlled ,it can lead to exploitation, black money generation, crime etc.
- Legal and regulated gambling an create a large scale employment opportunities.
- Gambling is not morally correct in the Indian context. It can lead to addiction, loss of livelihood and bankruptcy.