UPSC IAS The Hindu Current Affairs 2nd April 2018 highlights are:
- They allow for flexibility to continue political engagement and economic cooperation with their common adversary.
- They avoid entrapment of being dragged in to a partners dispute and potentially in to a conflict.
- At the same time, strategic partnership provides for regular political and military interactions for a collaborative approach to strategic policies.
India and Japan relations perfectly figure in to the above relationship.
- India will not get deep in to Japan disputes and the same is the case with Japan. A mutual cooperation exists on the wider issues where win win situation exists.
Important developments of India – Japan special strategic and global partnership are
- Japan is the only country India allowed to invest in infrastructure in North east.
- There is a joint infrastructure project development – Asia – Africa Growth corridor.
- Japan and India agreed to have annual summits and 2+ 2 format for defence and foreign ministers meeting.
- India is buying ShinMaywa Amphibious ships from Japan.
- Japan is investing in infrastructure development in Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
Nuclear deal in danger
Trump’s continuous tirade against Iran nuclear deal appears to be an end to Obama era pragmatism. Nuclear deal was successfully able to stop Iran form developing a nuclear weapon. Added to this, Iran never violated the deal. In these circumstances USA imposing sanctions against Iran, will set a dangerous precedent in international agreements. Iran nuclear deal being multilateral agreement, President shall end his rhetoric.
A big broom
Government effort to release names of shell companies, Name and shame its directors may not yield sufficient results to fight unaccounted money. In the process, there is a possibility of harassing genuine companies or directors.
The best way forward is to arrest systemic shortcomings.
Tax payer rights and obligations
Indian tax administration system shall move from an enforcement to a service based model. Intentions of reforms are good but they are reactive. DTAA, GAAR, transfer price mechanism, implementation of GST all have challenges.
improvement in taxpayers’ service, enhanced use of information and communication technology, exchange of information with other agencies, expansion of tax base, compliance management, etc. Need to be improved to make tax administration Service oriented.
Beyond social Media
In India Geographical indications (Registration and protection) act 1999 has provided for registration of Geographical indications. There is no effective monitoring mechanism for quality compliance of the same. Unlike this in the European regulation clearly provides for monitoring at multiple levels. India also shall have the same.
Prelims Roundup (2000) –www.laex.in/testprep
NCERT Videos Available at www.laex.in/testprep
02 April 2018
After glitch, ISRO trying to restore link with GSAT 6A
GSAT 6A meant for military communication in hostile regions went on silent after igniting second engine.
CVC wants to keep an eye on private banks
As on today, private banks are not in the scope of CVC. It is reported that there are incidences of malfeasance in private sector banks too. So, CVC has requested Government to amend CVC act to raise its jurisdiction on private banks too.
cant stop legislators from practicing : Bar council
Bar council of india stated that it can not prohibit a legislator from practicing law. but, it can prohibit him / her from participating in impeachment motion of a judge.
A rude wake up call
There must be some safeguards before a motion to impeach a judge admitted in parliament.
The reasons are
- Independence of judiciary is paramount to rule of law. In the perception driven world, discussion on motion of impeachment can create an emotional burden on judge concerned.
- Constitutionally, presiding officers can consult any persons as they deem necessary before admitting motion. So, consultation with judiciary need to be made mandatory before admitting a motion.
So, Art 124(4) of the constitution and the provisions of judges (inquiry) act need to be amended in such a way that a presiding officer in parliament should obtain the concurrence of full court of supreme court.
Politics in the age of Facebook
Elections involve a lot of emotional rhetoric. So, ability to understand people psych can give an edge over competitors in elections. Psycho metric testing tools for selective targeting of voters on social media can be an effective instrument. Political parties in India also appears to be in the race for this.
Air India disinvestment plan is released by centre. It has decided to disinvest 76% of its stake in AI, 100% in Air India express and 50% ground handling operations arm.
There is no disinvestment in alliance air, hotel corporation of India, Air India transport services and Air India engineering services.
Any company that invests in Air India gets its international flying rights. On the other side, there is a debt burden of 33,392 cr.
Elections in Egypt appears to be more farce to reinstate president Abdel Fattah el sisi back in to power. Political repression and economic hardships that gave rise to revolution in the first place are still continuing. Though there is a false sense of stability, military owns greater power and judicial system lost its independence.
Shedding the crisis state image
Pakistan need to shed its image as a crisis state, terror state and project itself as a state interested in development and prosperity. It can only happen from the following.
- It has to identify a greater national purpose than rivalry with India.
- Narrow perspective of Islamic nationalism shall give way for secularism and pluralism.
- Support to terrorism has to be stopped. It is going to hurt Pakistan than any other nation.