UPSC IAS The Hindu Current Affairs 4th April 2018 highlights are:
- They allow for flexibility to continue political engagement and economic cooperation with their common adversary.
- They avoid entrapment of being dragged in to a partners dispute and potentially in to a conflict.
- At the same time, strategic partnership provides for regular political and military interactions for a collaborative approach to strategic policies.
India and Japan relations perfectly figure in to the above relationship.
- India will not get deep in to Japan disputes and the same is the case with Japan. A mutual cooperation exists on the wider issues where win win situation exists.
Important developments of India – Japan special strategic and global partnership are
- Japan is the only country India allowed to invest in infrastructure in North east.
- There is a joint infrastructure project development – Asia – Africa Growth corridor.
- Japan and India agreed to have annual summits and 2+ 2 format for defence and foreign ministers meeting.
- India is buying ShinMaywa Amphibious ships from Japan.
- Japan is investing in infrastructure development in Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
Nuclear deal in danger
Trump’s continuous tirade against Iran nuclear deal appears to be an end to Obama era pragmatism. Nuclear deal was successfully able to stop Iran form developing a nuclear weapon. Added to this, Iran never violated the deal. In these circumstances USA imposing sanctions against Iran, will set a dangerous precedent in international agreements. Iran nuclear deal being multilateral agreement, President shall end his rhetoric.
A big broom
Government effort to release names of shell companies, Name and shame its directors may not yield sufficient results to fight unaccounted money. In the process, there is a possibility of harassing genuine companies or directors.
The best way forward is to arrest systemic shortcomings.
Tax payer rights and obligations
Indian tax administration system shall move from an enforcement to a service based model. Intentions of reforms are good but they are reactive. DTAA, GAAR, transfer price mechanism, implementation of GST all have challenges.
improvement in taxpayers’ service, enhanced use of information and communication technology, exchange of information with other agencies, expansion of tax base, compliance management, etc. Need to be improved to make tax administration Service oriented.
Beyond social Media
In India Geographical indications (Registration and protection) act 1999 has provided for registration of Geographical indications. There is no effective monitoring mechanism for quality compliance of the same. Unlike this in the European regulation clearly provides for monitoring at multiple levels. India also shall have the same.
Prelims Roundup (2000) –www.laex.in/testprep
NCERT Videos Available at www.laex.in/testprep
04 April 2108
No affront to dalit rights
Supreme Court of India has clearly stated that there is no conflict between its judgements and Dalit rights. Judgement is intend to protect innocent people from frivolous complaints and not to take away the Dalit rights.
I&B ministry withdraws order on fake news
A note on disaccreditation of journalists for publishing or telecasting fake news is withdrawn by the Government.
Israelis have the right to their own land
Saudi Arabia crown prince in his USA trip stated that Israelis are entitled to live peacefully on their own land. He also added up saying there are lot of interests Israel and Gulf countries share and only requirement is peace.
- Though Saudi Arabia has not recognised Israel it allowed use of its space for commercial flights to Air India flew first flight.
- Saudi Arabia appears to be approaching to Israel to counter growing clout of Iran in the region.
How the data sets stack up
Poverty ratio is equally important as the gini coefficient in analysing the issues relating to growth and distribution. Mini coefficient has marginally raised during high growth period from 2004-05 to 2011-12. It raised both in rural and urban areas in this high growth period. It implies a rise in inequality.
Income and wealth inequalities in India are much higher than the consumption inequality. This have to be analysed.
Trends in poverty ratio
Poverty declined faster in the post reform period particularly between 2004-05 to 2011-12. It is on an average at 2.2 percentage points per annum. It is the period of highest economic growth and most of the growth has occurred in urban areas. It implies that, urban growth is responsible for poverty reduction in rural areas too.
It shows that if mini coefficient remains the same or picks up, poverty ratio can be declining. Reduction in poverty is much higher in the period of 2004-05 to 2011-12 inspite of rise in inequality.
There is no such a thing as total failure. ISRO should learn from its satellite launch problem. Loss of communication with GSAT 6A needs a through scrutiny and understanding. It helps in future missions of ISRO