UPSC IAS The Hindu Current Affairs 26th April 2018 highlights are:
Prelims Roundup (2000) –www.laex.in/testprep
NCERT Videos Available at www.laex.in/testprep
26 April 2018
- Asaram sentenced to jail till death
Self style god man convicted of rape of teen at his ashram.
- Judges seek to fortify top court
Supreme Court judges have asked CJI to hold a full court once in a while and also to initiate frequent informal discussions where ideas can be shared freely among them. They believe it can strengthen the institution.
- Ministry clears Indu Malhotra as SC Judge
Senior Advocate Indu Malhotra is appointed as Judge of SC. She is the first woman from the bar to be raised as a judge of Supreme court.
The changing structure of Riots
Riots are structurally changing in the following ways in India.
- They are pre mediated
- There are intricately connected to festivals
- Riots raise during election season.
- They are branded with hue and cry of nationalism.
- Police inaction and indecisiveness of political class are evident.
- Victim is blamed by both rioters and Police alike.
So, Today riots are challenging very essence of government and politics in Indian democracy.
Centre has revoked Armed forces (special Powers ) Act in Meghalaya and reduced its ambit in Arunachal Pradesh is welcome. But, it is still unwilling to consider continuance of this controversial law for the opposition from armed forces.
In a rare intervention in 2016 Supreme curt held that armed forces can not escape investigation for excesses committed in the discharge of their duties even in disturbed areas. In other words accountability for Human rights violations is sacrosanct and the legal protection offered by AFSPA can not be absolute.
Justice Jeevan reddy committee also recommended for repeal of the law all together.
Cautionary notes for Wuhan
Summits produced better results
- When excessive media focus to them is avoided.
- Conversation need to be broad based and they are likely to break ground on bilateral issues rather than on Multilateral issues.
- Finally it is necessary to secure processes launched by leaders rather meddle them with issues.
A dangerous polarisation in Jammu
Jammu has become a city of migration for different communities aspiring for education and upward mobility in Jammu and Kashmir as violence continues in kashmir valley. It also divided Jammu on communal lines.
The global Nuclear cloud is darkening
The reasons for rising global nuclear cloud are
- There is anew cold war between Russia and USA. Both of them have embarked on Nuclear weapon modernisation program and are building Nuclear tipped missiles.
- Korean Peninsula is still unstable inspite of Kim’s words of denuclearisation. It is not clear wether his commitment to denuclearisation is complete and verifiable. Japan and South Korea expects it to be complete and verifiable.
- Iran nuclear agreement appears to be in trouble as President Trump is not willing to give it a fresh lease of life.
India should make a credible and Objective intervention to prove itself as a different nuclear power.