UPSC IAS The Hindu Current Affairs 27th April 2018 highlights are:
Prelims Roundup (2000) –www.laex.in/testprep
NCERT Videos Available at www.laex.in/testprep
27 April 2018
Prime Minister Okays diversion of 77ha of forest land for bullet train
Diversion of forest land for non forest purposes is allowed under section 2(2) of forest conservation act – 1980. It is the highest such diversion for a single project in India.
Government can seek rethink on Joseph’s name
Government has sent its objections on elevation of uttarakhand high court chief Justice K M Joseph as judge of Supreme court. These are
- He is not sufficiently senior and he is 42 in the list of seniority among the high court judges in the country.
- Justice K M Joseph parent court – Kerala High court already has sufficient representation.
Government has already has sent his name for reconsideration. If collegium reiterates the appointment, Government shall appoint him or her as Judge of Supreme Court.
Anatomy of a reset
India and china relations can be best described as competition – cooperation and confrontation. There is no single narrative to explain this complex relationship.
In recent past, there is a built up of negativity from both sides. China sees India as an ally of Japan and USA. India sees China as a nation close to Pakistan and one obstructing its entry in to NSG. Finally, Hostilities between the nations led to a Zero sum game.
Leadership on both sides realised that India china relations need to be handled in a politically mature manner with emphasis on development. It reflects statement of foreign minister Sushma Swaraj – Our commonalities outweigh our differences. In this context, Wuhan summit is expected to build trust at the highest level. It is very much necessary for the reasons
- Adversarial relationship with China brings no advantages and amplifies security problems.
- India’s friction with china enhances Pakistan ability to shape China’s South Asian Policy.
- Contentious India China relationship also reduces India’s bargaining power with USA and Japan.
Unpacking the Dalit angst
As per Ambedkar, Manusmriti is the reason for existence and Survival of caste system. Argument that caste system in India is a form of division of labour is flawed. Today, Manu smriti is projected in a different form by right wing leaders as Bharatiya Ethos.
Another aspect is advocacy of caste blind approach to eliminate casteism. It will ultimately perpetuate inequalities.
Self styled God man enjoy support from people and Establishment alike. Putting them to Justice is a difficult task for the judiciary. In this scenario, courage and determination of the few is bringing them to Justice. India need to evolve to see Justice as over and above individuals.
Afghanistan is again pushed in to a great game between world powers. The reasons are
- There is no significant follow up action to president trump’s south Asia policy.
- Taliban have rejected call of President Ashraf Ghani for talks with no pre conditions.
- China is showing interest in Afghanistan for its own stability.
- War between Arabs and Iran is rising terrorism in Afghanistan.
Should who rape minors get the death penalty?
- Death penalty sends a strong message and can act as a deterrent.
- It creates faith in law and gives justice to victim.
On other side
- There is no empirical evidence to relate severity of punishment and reduction of crime.
- In India, if there is any deterrence aspect exists for capital punishment, it will be diluted due to uncertainty of punishment.
- In most of the cases, perpetrator is a known person, there will be social pressures not to report the case if severity of punishment increases.
- As severity of punishment increases, it can create a motive in perpetrator to eliminate child to destroy evidence.
There needs to be a greater emphasis on skilled investigation, Modern forensic gathering and rising certainty of punishment.
Shield India from Anti Russia sanctions
USA has enacted a law – countering adversaries of America through sanctions act – it is meant to impose sanctions against Russia and defence manufacturers there. It is expected to affect India as it has recently signed to purchase S-400 air defence system from Russia.
Simplifying finance bill must be the next big reform.
Reduction of tax rate and removing exemptions under direct taxes need to be the next big reform.
Tag:Afghanistan, Bullet train, Civils, civils preparation, civils preparation classes, Dalit issues in India, Finance bill, IAS, ias current affairs 2018, ias daily current affairs, ias preparation, ias preparation for beginners, ias preparation lectures, India china relation, India Russia relations, Selection of supream court judges