UPSC IAS The Hindu Current Affairs 1st May 2018 highlights are:
Prelims Roundup (2000) –www.laex.in/testprep
NCERT Videos Available at www.laex.in/testprep
01 May 2018
AFSPA will continue in Nagaland : RijIju
Minister of state for Home Affairs has stated that AFSPA is going to continue in Nagaland. He also added that once Naga deal beaches operational, AFSPA is expected to go automatically.
Power minister feels no need to change electrification definition
Prime Minister of India has claimed that all the villages in India are electrified. Here electrification definition is as follows.
Village shall have grid connectivity and least 10% households and public places shall have electric connection.
Deen Dayal Gram Jyoti Yojana focusses on electrification of villages and Pradhan Mantri Sahaj Bhijli har Ghar Yojana(Saubhagya ) is aimed at last mile connectivity and takin electricity to every household.
A dangerous incursion
The opposition of Government to the elevation of K M Joseph as a judge of Supreme Court is based on the following grounds.
- He is not sufficiently senior.
- regionally, Kerala high court is too small to be represented by two Judges.
- There is no adequate representation of SC/ST in supreme court.
The above are just reasons than reasonable grounds for opposition. In India, seniority is never a criteria for collegium to recommend judges. Many of the high courts are not represented and high courts of Bombay, Delhi have more Judges in Supreme Court.
Government’s interference in Judicial appointments can compromise judicial independence.
A shard hero for India and Pakistan
Bhagat Singh is celebrated as a national hero in India and Pakistan alike. Reasons lie in his vision of universal Brother hood, equality, and well being of all. He was a socialist who preached for inclusive nationalism of all religions and sections of society.
Korean War is expected to come to end as armistice transforms in to a peace treaty. Added to this, contentious issue of denuclearisation need to be addressed. Previous summit level meetings between North and south though raised hopes, they failed to drive peace process to logical conclusion.
Major objectives of Kim appears to be regime protection and to get economic benefits. probably, Kim credible guarantees on this front.
Local democracy in disarray
73 rd and 74th amendment acts are meant to create inclusive, responsive, participatory democracy to deliver economic development and silva Justice. It suffers from various handicaps.
- economic reforms started simultaneously with local governments created parallel structures of service delivery. It reduces decentralisation to deconcentration.
- Para statal bodies are created by state legislature as alternative delivery channels. There is no perceptible handholding from state Governments for democratic decentralisation.
- Institutional structures like State finance commission and District planning committees are not constituted.
- MPLADS and MLALADS have created parallel decision making authorities in areas of development.
- Functions, funds and finances are not transferred. Even today, local Govts share in total public sector expenditure is 7%. Own source of revenues constitute 2% and in Panchayats it is .3%.
- Accountability systems are not in place. 11 finance commission has emphasised and provided grants for it. 13th finance commission has connected local Government funds to central divisible pool of taxes. 14th finance commission enhanced grants significantly. There is no sufficient contribution from the states.
The cost of pollution
Environmental Kuznets curve states that as per capita income grows, the increase in environmental impact hits maximum and thereafter declines. As countries develop, environmental concerns, emission standards becomes politically important.
Notes to be prepared for starters on the following topics. – To research team
- Environmental Kuznets curve (P)
- Iran Nuclear deal
- AFSPA (P)
- Korean Peninsula – History
- DDU GJY, Saubhagya schemes ℗
- 73rd and 74th Amendment act – State finance commission and district planning committee. ℗
- Even After 25 years of their creation local Governments failed to show their impact on their ground. Analyse reasons and suggest measures make them institutions of democratic decentralisation.
- local Government’s are often described as another variant of fiscal federalism. They have larger scope of action. Express your opinions.
- Judicial independence is put to test through executive control over appointments. Discuss judicial independence in the light of recent controversies related to Judicial appointments and collegium system.
Tag:Afghanistan, AFSPA, bhagath singh, Bullet train, Civils, civils preparation, civils preparation classes, Dalit issues in India, Definition of Electrification, Finance bill, IAS, ias current affairs 2018, ias daily current affairs, ias preparation, ias preparation for beginners, ias preparation lectures, India china relation, India Russia relations, korean war and north korea, Local government, Pollution, research team, Selection of supream court judges, supream court