UPSC IAS The Hindu Current Affairs 5th May 2018 highlights are:
- They allow for flexibility to continue political engagement and economic cooperation with their common adversary.
- They avoid entrapment of being dragged in to a partners dispute and potentially in to a conflict.
- At the same time, strategic partnership provides for regular political and military interactions for a collaborative approach to strategic policies.
India and Japan relations perfectly figure in to the above relationship.
- India will not get deep in to Japan disputes and the same is the case with Japan. A mutual cooperation exists on the wider issues where win win situation exists.
Important developments of India – Japan special strategic and global partnership are
- Japan is the only country India allowed to invest in infrastructure in North east.
- There is a joint infrastructure project development – Asia – Africa Growth corridor.
- Japan and India agreed to have annual summits and 2+ 2 format for defence and foreign ministers meeting.
- India is buying ShinMaywa Amphibious ships from Japan.
- Japan is investing in infrastructure development in Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
Nuclear deal in danger
Trump’s continuous tirade against Iran nuclear deal appears to be an end to Obama era pragmatism. Nuclear deal was successfully able to stop Iran form developing a nuclear weapon. Added to this, Iran never violated the deal. In these circumstances USA imposing sanctions against Iran, will set a dangerous precedent in international agreements. Iran nuclear deal being multilateral agreement, President shall end his rhetoric.
A big broom
Government effort to release names of shell companies, Name and shame its directors may not yield sufficient results to fight unaccounted money. In the process, there is a possibility of harassing genuine companies or directors.
The best way forward is to arrest systemic shortcomings.
Tax payer rights and obligations
Indian tax administration system shall move from an enforcement to a service based model. Intentions of reforms are good but they are reactive. DTAA, GAAR, transfer price mechanism, implementation of GST all have challenges.
improvement in taxpayers’ service, enhanced use of information and communication technology, exchange of information with other agencies, expansion of tax base, compliance management, etc. Need to be improved to make tax administration Service oriented.
Beyond social Media
In India Geographical indications (Registration and protection) act 1999 has provided for registration of Geographical indications. There is no effective monitoring mechanism for quality compliance of the same. Unlike this in the European regulation clearly provides for monitoring at multiple levels. India also shall have the same.
Prelims Roundup (2000) –www.laex.in/testprep
NCERT Videos Available at www.laex.in/testprep
05 May 2018
GST council approves single form for filing of returns
- Complexity reduces compliance. Keeping this in mind, GST council approved single form to file GST returns.
- GST network to become 100% Government enterprise.
- GoM are constituted to study cess on sugar.
A Post colonial reckoning
Tough immigration laws and taking the existing laws in bad faith to deport immigrants from the country is putting UK in bad light. It is also reviving racial discrimination and sense of alienation among the people who are responsible for building its economy after 2nd world war.
Essentially, present crisis in UK is a connection between its colonial legacy and modern crisis as a nation.
Students, Non EU doctors and IT employees all are affected due to migration laws.
These people entered UK after second world war as labour from Caribbean islands. They played an important role in rebuilding war torn UK. Now they are asked to submit proof of residence for the 60-70 years period to be recognised as UK citizens. Inability to furnish such information will be met with Job losses, deportation, withdrawn of welfare benefits and even denial of critical medical care.
Citing Karnataka elections as a reason not to implement Order of supreme court reflects poorly on governance. It can attract contempt of the court. so, Government asking court for extension to implement Cauvery management board order as Prime Minister and ministers preoccupied in election campaign is legally untenable and morally wrong.
Karl Marx 200 Years
Karl Marx always believed in
- Autonomy of Human beings – emancipation of orders will be the work of workers themselves.
- For Marx – thinking rigorously and critically was an important matter.
Ministry fast tracks security clearances
Home ministry has formulated a new national security clearance policy in 2015. It led to speed up of clearances for investments and today time is reduced to 40 days.