UPSC IAS The Hindu Current Affairs 9th May 2018 highlights are:
- They allow for flexibility to continue political engagement and economic cooperation with their common adversary.
- They avoid entrapment of being dragged in to a partners dispute and potentially in to a conflict.
- At the same time, strategic partnership provides for regular political and military interactions for a collaborative approach to strategic policies.
India and Japan relations perfectly figure in to the above relationship.
- India will not get deep in to Japan disputes and the same is the case with Japan. A mutual cooperation exists on the wider issues where win win situation exists.
Important developments of India – Japan special strategic and global partnership are
- Japan is the only country India allowed to invest in infrastructure in North east.
- There is a joint infrastructure project development – Asia – Africa Growth corridor.
- Japan and India agreed to have annual summits and 2+ 2 format for defence and foreign ministers meeting.
- India is buying ShinMaywa Amphibious ships from Japan.
- Japan is investing in infrastructure development in Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
Nuclear deal in danger
Trump’s continuous tirade against Iran nuclear deal appears to be an end to Obama era pragmatism. Nuclear deal was successfully able to stop Iran form developing a nuclear weapon. Added to this, Iran never violated the deal. In these circumstances USA imposing sanctions against Iran, will set a dangerous precedent in international agreements. Iran nuclear deal being multilateral agreement, President shall end his rhetoric.
A big broom
Government effort to release names of shell companies, Name and shame its directors may not yield sufficient results to fight unaccounted money. In the process, there is a possibility of harassing genuine companies or directors.
The best way forward is to arrest systemic shortcomings.
Tax payer rights and obligations
Indian tax administration system shall move from an enforcement to a service based model. Intentions of reforms are good but they are reactive. DTAA, GAAR, transfer price mechanism, implementation of GST all have challenges.
improvement in taxpayers’ service, enhanced use of information and communication technology, exchange of information with other agencies, expansion of tax base, compliance management, etc. Need to be improved to make tax administration Service oriented.
Beyond social Media
In India Geographical indications (Registration and protection) act 1999 has provided for registration of Geographical indications. There is no effective monitoring mechanism for quality compliance of the same. Unlike this in the European regulation clearly provides for monitoring at multiple levels. India also shall have the same.
Prelims Roundup (2000) –www.laex.in/testprep
NCERT Videos Available at www.laex.in/testprep
09 May 2018
SC Pulls up centre for not framing Cauvery scheme
SC of India rapped the centre for showing sheer contempt of court by not framing the Cauvery draft scheme.
Trump calls out of Iran nuclear deal
Trump has pulled USA out of Iran nuclear deal. Reasons stated are
- Deal do not cover missile development and deployment by Iran.
- Deal cannot prevent development of Nuclear bomb by Iran.
- If the deal continues it will escalate arms race in west Asia.
- EU has announced that it will continue with deal even USA pulls out. It can create rift among western countries.
- It can force hard liners in Iran.
Reviving Neighbourhood first
India is able to engage with China and Nepal after a period of Turmoil. Wuhan Summit has sent clear message to militaries of both the nations to have a clear communication not to escalate tensions.
Nepal Prime Minister made first visit to India keeping up the tradition. India did its effort to win goodwill with Nepal Prime Minister KP Sharma Oil – A bitter critic of India. Prime Minister is about to make a visit to Nepal to consolidate diplomatic gains.
Major irritant for Neighbourhood first policy is irritants with Pakistan. Terror Attacks in Pathankot and uri, India’s surgical strikes, policy of isolation of Pakistan, stalling SAARC process had only limited impact. so, it can be stated that India’s regional reset will not be complete with out a change in Pakistan’s policy.
Forging peace in Nagaland
openness from all parties is essential to forge peace in Nagaland. Framework agreement of Government of India with NSCN(IM) is not complete. NSCN (IM) do not reflect all factions of naga community and it also raised apprehensions in neighbouring states. In this context, following points need to be noted.
- Jaya Prakash Narayan – argues that civilizational unity in India has to precede a political unity.
- Naga’s are proud inheritors of a unique culture.
- Naga’s contend that they never signed instrument of Accession to Government of India.
- Pluralism is the cornerstone of the constitution and it has to guide peace process.
For a fair trial
Transfer of cases from one state to other state is a rare thing and it an only happen with decision of Supreme Court. As climate in state of Jammu and Kashmir is disturbed and divided, Supreme court has ordered for trial of Kathua rape incident in Pathankot in Punjab. It is a right step in the interests of fair trail and to avoid any sense of miscarriage of Justice.
The age of Putin
Putin elected for another term to office. But, foreign policy and economic challenges are many before him.
- Hostilities between USA and Russia are at their peaks after cold war.
- Intervention in Syria can cost Russia dearly.
- Economically, Russia is facing Recession.
- Annexation of Crimea brought entire west against Russia
On the other side,
- Putin is able to put back Russia as a global power on the map again.
- China Russia relations improved significantly.
There os a continuing threat from Islamic terrorists – Highlights of the interview with EU security commissioner.
- Islamist extremist terrorism and cyber terrorism are twin dangers for Europe.
- Islamic state idea of caliphate is dismantled. But it has led to displacement of terrorism in to different parts of the world. Lone wolf attacks are an examples of this. Counter radicalisation need to be worked efficiently.
- FATF process need to be effectively implemented to deter terror financing.
- Real time information sharing need to be improved among countries for counter terrorism cooperation.
EU is expected to support data based journalism to stop spread of disinformation.
Tag:cauvery river water dispute, Civils, Civils Current Affairs, civils preparation, civils preparation classes, elections in russia, ias current affairs 2018, ias daily current affairs, ias preparation, ias preparation for beginners, ias preparation lectures, Iran nuclear deal, judiciary, naga peace accord, Neighbourhood first polocy, p5, ures