UPSC IAS The Hindu Current Affairs 10th May 2018 highlights are:
- They allow for flexibility to continue political engagement and economic cooperation with their common adversary.
- They avoid entrapment of being dragged in to a partners dispute and potentially in to a conflict.
- At the same time, strategic partnership provides for regular political and military interactions for a collaborative approach to strategic policies.
India and Japan relations perfectly figure in to the above relationship.
- India will not get deep in to Japan disputes and the same is the case with Japan. A mutual cooperation exists on the wider issues where win win situation exists.
Important developments of India – Japan special strategic and global partnership are
- Japan is the only country India allowed to invest in infrastructure in North east.
- There is a joint infrastructure project development – Asia – Africa Growth corridor.
- Japan and India agreed to have annual summits and 2+ 2 format for defence and foreign ministers meeting.
- India is buying ShinMaywa Amphibious ships from Japan.
- Japan is investing in infrastructure development in Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
Nuclear deal in danger
Trump’s continuous tirade against Iran nuclear deal appears to be an end to Obama era pragmatism. Nuclear deal was successfully able to stop Iran form developing a nuclear weapon. Added to this, Iran never violated the deal. In these circumstances USA imposing sanctions against Iran, will set a dangerous precedent in international agreements. Iran nuclear deal being multilateral agreement, President shall end his rhetoric.
A big broom
Government effort to release names of shell companies, Name and shame its directors may not yield sufficient results to fight unaccounted money. In the process, there is a possibility of harassing genuine companies or directors.
The best way forward is to arrest systemic shortcomings.
Tax payer rights and obligations
Indian tax administration system shall move from an enforcement to a service based model. Intentions of reforms are good but they are reactive. DTAA, GAAR, transfer price mechanism, implementation of GST all have challenges.
improvement in taxpayers’ service, enhanced use of information and communication technology, exchange of information with other agencies, expansion of tax base, compliance management, etc. Need to be improved to make tax administration Service oriented.
Beyond social Media
In India Geographical indications (Registration and protection) act 1999 has provided for registration of Geographical indications. There is no effective monitoring mechanism for quality compliance of the same. Unlike this in the European regulation clearly provides for monitoring at multiple levels. India also shall have the same.
Prelims Roundup (2000) –www.laex.in/testprep
NCERT Videos Available at www.laex.in/testprep
10 May 2018
Walmart to buy control of Flipkart
In Indian e commerce, competition is about to intensify with Walmart buying 77% stake in flipkart. It is expected to benefit India by providing quality, affordable goods for customers while creating new skilled jobs, opportunities for small suppliers, farmers and women entrepreneurs.
Europe vows to save Iran Nuclear deal
Europe, china and Russia vowed to uphold landmark deal inspite of USA moving out of it.
- USA retreat from the Iran nuclear deal has undermined rules based global order. IAEA and USA own intelligence reports state that Iran has 100% complied with Joint comprehensive plan of action.
- US withdrawing form deal can be seen from west air political dynamics. It is USA-Saudi Arabia-Israel axis against economically resurgent Iran.
Drowning in dust
Recent dust storms in North India and resultant deaths could have been avoided. Better infrastructure and forecasting facilities are necessary for the same. Accumulation of mineral dust, aerosols are stated as the reasons for their rise.
Between elephant and Dragon
China is in strong engagement with Iran on trade, defence, fianance and in infrastructure. At the same time, Iran is expected to play an important role in OBOR project of china.
China was one of the countries that maintained strong trade relations with Iran even during sanctions period. China being permanent member of UNSC, it would be a great strategic help for Iran. China dominated world order suits better to Iran than USA dominated world order.
In the above scenario, India need to engage with Iran diplomatically in a way that do not damage its relations with China.
To consolidate its strategic depth, India should focus on naval exercises in Persian Gulf, offer infrastructure benefits with the help of Japan and other like minded countries. Added to this, india and china can take up joint development projects as like they agreed in Afghanistan.
Improving social Audits
Society for social audit accountability and transparency in Telangana and AP.
- Social Audits are effective grievance redressal mechanisms. It is playing a preventive role along with punitive role.
- Supreme Court of India in its final Judgement on National campaign committee for central legislation on construction labour has mandated state sponsored social audits.
- CAG has provided clear functional guidelines to implement Social audits.
Focus on building trust
India and Nepal need to muster courage to address difficult aspects of bilateral ties. It needs building trust and effective implementation of projects and programs agreed on. Adhocism, high handedness, interference will not help for a mature relationship.
India to face impact of USA decision on Iran
- Oil prices are expected to rise.
- Chabahar port – A critical Indian investment can become doubtful
- SCO with Iran membership will be more seen as anti American.
- USA withdraws from Iran Nuclear deal is a threat to rules based order India believes in.
Question of the day
- USA withdrawal from Iran nuclear deal will have a significant impact on geo politics. India is too expected to face heat. Analyse
- Social audit is an important tool of accountability. It has changed very nature of program implementation in India. Discuss its strengths and weakness. Recommend measures to make it effective.