UPSC IAS The Hindu Current Affairs 12th May 2018 highlights are:
- They allow for flexibility to continue political engagement and economic cooperation with their common adversary.
- They avoid entrapment of being dragged in to a partners dispute and potentially in to a conflict.
- At the same time, strategic partnership provides for regular political and military interactions for a collaborative approach to strategic policies.
India and Japan relations perfectly figure in to the above relationship.
- India will not get deep in to Japan disputes and the same is the case with Japan. A mutual cooperation exists on the wider issues where win win situation exists.
Important developments of India – Japan special strategic and global partnership are
- Japan is the only country India allowed to invest in infrastructure in North east.
- There is a joint infrastructure project development – Asia – Africa Growth corridor.
- Japan and India agreed to have annual summits and 2+ 2 format for defence and foreign ministers meeting.
- India is buying ShinMaywa Amphibious ships from Japan.
- Japan is investing in infrastructure development in Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
Nuclear deal in danger
Trump’s continuous tirade against Iran nuclear deal appears to be an end to Obama era pragmatism. Nuclear deal was successfully able to stop Iran form developing a nuclear weapon. Added to this, Iran never violated the deal. In these circumstances USA imposing sanctions against Iran, will set a dangerous precedent in international agreements. Iran nuclear deal being multilateral agreement, President shall end his rhetoric.
A big broom
Government effort to release names of shell companies, Name and shame its directors may not yield sufficient results to fight unaccounted money. In the process, there is a possibility of harassing genuine companies or directors.
The best way forward is to arrest systemic shortcomings.
Tax payer rights and obligations
Indian tax administration system shall move from an enforcement to a service based model. Intentions of reforms are good but they are reactive. DTAA, GAAR, transfer price mechanism, implementation of GST all have challenges.
improvement in taxpayers’ service, enhanced use of information and communication technology, exchange of information with other agencies, expansion of tax base, compliance management, etc. Need to be improved to make tax administration Service oriented.
Beyond social Media
In India Geographical indications (Registration and protection) act 1999 has provided for registration of Geographical indications. There is no effective monitoring mechanism for quality compliance of the same. Unlike this in the European regulation clearly provides for monitoring at multiple levels. India also shall have the same.
Prelims Roundup (2000) –www.laex.in/testprep
NCERT Videos Available at www.laex.in/testprep
12 May 2018
India stands for a united, rich, strong Nepal: Prime Minister Modi
Prime Minister Modi said – India supported a united, prosperous and strong Nepal. He also strongly backed vision of Nepal Prime Minister K P Sharma Oli to transform land locked Nepal in to land land water linked country.
A time to think fast –
Already covered all the dimensions in previous articles. This article is a repetition.
In a state of energy poverty
- In India, regional imbalances in electricity access persists.
- There is concurrence between economic poverty and energy poverty.
- Grid capacities need to be improved to improve quality and reliability of electricity.
- DISCOMS are facing a crisis situation in India and their indebtedness is a major challenge to increase access to quality electricity to poor.
so, capital investments, timely upgradation in Transmission and distribution networks is essential to make universal access to electricity.
India to help settle Rohingya back in Rakhine
India and Myanmar sealed a landmark land border crossing agreement. Along with this external affairs minister underlined the need for safe, speedy and sustainable return of displaced persons of Rakhine state. India agreed to build pre fabricated homes for those who are returning.
Ramayana circuit gets a new direct bus service
Ramayana circuit bus was jointly inaugurated by PM of India and Nepal Modi and KP Sharma Oli. It is a direct bus service between Janakpur and Ayodhya. It is to promote religious tourism in India.