UPSC IAS The Hindu Current Affairs 21st May 2018 highlights are:
- They allow for flexibility to continue political engagement and economic cooperation with their common adversary.
- They avoid entrapment of being dragged in to a partners dispute and potentially in to a conflict.
- At the same time, strategic partnership provides for regular political and military interactions for a collaborative approach to strategic policies.
India and Japan relations perfectly figure in to the above relationship.
- India will not get deep in to Japan disputes and the same is the case with Japan. A mutual cooperation exists on the wider issues where win win situation exists.
Important developments of India – Japan special strategic and global partnership are
- Japan is the only country India allowed to invest in infrastructure in North east.
- There is a joint infrastructure project development – Asia – Africa Growth corridor.
- Japan and India agreed to have annual summits and 2+ 2 format for defence and foreign ministers meeting.
- India is buying ShinMaywa Amphibious ships from Japan.
- Japan is investing in infrastructure development in Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
Nuclear deal in danger
Trump’s continuous tirade against Iran nuclear deal appears to be an end to Obama era pragmatism. Nuclear deal was successfully able to stop Iran form developing a nuclear weapon. Added to this, Iran never violated the deal. In these circumstances USA imposing sanctions against Iran, will set a dangerous precedent in international agreements. Iran nuclear deal being multilateral agreement, President shall end his rhetoric.
A big broom
Government effort to release names of shell companies, Name and shame its directors may not yield sufficient results to fight unaccounted money. In the process, there is a possibility of harassing genuine companies or directors.
The best way forward is to arrest systemic shortcomings.
Tax payer rights and obligations
Indian tax administration system shall move from an enforcement to a service based model. Intentions of reforms are good but they are reactive. DTAA, GAAR, transfer price mechanism, implementation of GST all have challenges.
improvement in taxpayers’ service, enhanced use of information and communication technology, exchange of information with other agencies, expansion of tax base, compliance management, etc. Need to be improved to make tax administration Service oriented.
Beyond social Media
In India Geographical indications (Registration and protection) act 1999 has provided for registration of Geographical indications. There is no effective monitoring mechanism for quality compliance of the same. Unlike this in the European regulation clearly provides for monitoring at multiple levels. India also shall have the same.
Prelims Roundup (2000) –www.laex.in/testprep
NCERT Videos Available at www.laex.in/testprep
21 May 2018
Seven police men Killed as Maoists blew up their SUV
In a naxal violence in Chhattisgarh 7 police men were killed. Not following standard operational procedures can be a reason.
Two Nipah Virus deaths confirmed in Kozhikode
Nipah virus has a natural reservoir in Bats and is transmitted to humans through pigs. Two people are reported as dead in Kerala from this virus.
Solar Micro grids light up remote jharkhand villages
Solar microgrids are helping to achieve last mile power connectivity in India.
Making sense of Wuhan reset
The informal summit must be seen in the context of Beijing preparing for pole position in the global sweepstakes.
Wuhan Informal summit is by and large a trust building exercise happened on the insistence of India. Though some significant takeaways in the form of creating strategic communication at highest level, strategic guidance to respective militaries for building trust, joint projects in Afghanistan exists, there is no real change on the ground. Added to this, Indian side claims that china endorsed adherence to letter and spirit of the 2005 agreement. ( political parameters and guiding principles for the settlement of Boundary question). If it is the case it can be an achievement as china is trying to reinterpret them recently.
On the other side, China aims to change global political and economic order to its advantage. China is today at Pivotal Moment in its history with weakening of USA, rise of its relations with Russia etc. In this scenario, China needs support of major economies in Asia for its purpose to reset global order.
Steering reform in clogged courts
Judicial reform has majorly ignored pending cases in courts. Case listing practices and court infrastructure need to be improved to reduce pending cases. Vidhi Study on district courts in National capital Region found that basic amenities are missing in most of the courts in India.
Using technology like case information system or appointing court managers did not yield intended results. Major reason is ineffective implementation. CIS need to be supplemented with file tracking and knowledge management systems to help courts to achieve optimal levels of functioning.
Rise of sadr
- In a multi sectoral society such as Iraq, Broad based cross sectarian politics centered around development are essential for stability.
- Iran aims to build a cross border shia brotherhood. But Iraq needs to do a balancing act between major regional powers – Iran and Saudi Arabia.
- Rise of Muqtada al sadr in Iraq politics can be attributed for the above.
The fight for Survival
- Congress party decline can be attributed to rise of identity politics and regional parties and middle calss in India.
- Though congress gets significant vote today, they are failing to convert in to seats as they are dispersed.
- There is no social base that votes congress alone.
In this scenario, congress can align with regional parties and take their support for a win win situation.
A Just and Equal code
Uniform civil code is irrefutable in a modern state as long as it is rational, Nondiscriminatory and promotes social equality and gender Justice.
When Hindu code bill is debated, PM Nehru thought that demand for Muslim Personal law shall come from Muslims rather than Hindu right. If not, it will fuel post partition insecurities of Muslims further.