UPSC IAS The Hindu Current Affairs 28th May 2018 highlights are:
- They allow for flexibility to continue political engagement and economic cooperation with their common adversary.
- They avoid entrapment of being dragged in to a partners dispute and potentially in to a conflict.
- At the same time, strategic partnership provides for regular political and military interactions for a collaborative approach to strategic policies.
India and Japan relations perfectly figure in to the above relationship.
- India will not get deep in to Japan disputes and the same is the case with Japan. A mutual cooperation exists on the wider issues where win win situation exists.
Important developments of India – Japan special strategic and global partnership are
- Japan is the only country India allowed to invest in infrastructure in North east.
- There is a joint infrastructure project development – Asia – Africa Growth corridor.
- Japan and India agreed to have annual summits and 2+ 2 format for defence and foreign ministers meeting.
- India is buying ShinMaywa Amphibious ships from Japan.
- Japan is investing in infrastructure development in Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
Nuclear deal in danger
Trump’s continuous tirade against Iran nuclear deal appears to be an end to Obama era pragmatism. Nuclear deal was successfully able to stop Iran form developing a nuclear weapon. Added to this, Iran never violated the deal. In these circumstances USA imposing sanctions against Iran, will set a dangerous precedent in international agreements. Iran nuclear deal being multilateral agreement, President shall end his rhetoric.
A big broom
Government effort to release names of shell companies, Name and shame its directors may not yield sufficient results to fight unaccounted money. In the process, there is a possibility of harassing genuine companies or directors.
The best way forward is to arrest systemic shortcomings.
Tax payer rights and obligations
Indian tax administration system shall move from an enforcement to a service based model. Intentions of reforms are good but they are reactive. DTAA, GAAR, transfer price mechanism, implementation of GST all have challenges.
improvement in taxpayers’ service, enhanced use of information and communication technology, exchange of information with other agencies, expansion of tax base, compliance management, etc. Need to be improved to make tax administration Service oriented.
Beyond social Media
In India Geographical indications (Registration and protection) act 1999 has provided for registration of Geographical indications. There is no effective monitoring mechanism for quality compliance of the same. Unlike this in the European regulation clearly provides for monitoring at multiple levels. India also shall have the same.
NCERT Videos Available at www.laex.in/testprep
28 May 2018
Rise of farmers will propel country’s growth, says Prime Minister
Prime Minister Modi said that farmers are at the centre of his Government’s growth and development vision. He also stated that Government decided to provide rs5.50 per quintal in financial support directly to cane farmers struggling to get dues worth 12,000cr from mills.
Prime Minister also announced Pradhan Mantri Kisan Sampada Yojana for post harvest losses.
Parties are out of purview of RTI act, says EC
Election commission of India contrary to the directive of CIC held that political parties are out of the purview of RTI.
Women’s health crucial to combat stunting: study
According to the study conducted by International food Policy research of India, parameters related to women such as Education, age at Marriage , health and nutritional status are playing a key role in combating stunting in children.
A Deal that can be done
The Korean Imbroglio reflects America’s fear of any meaning full adjustment to the global balance of power. Reasons are
- Traditionalists in Trump administration fear change. In case of North Korea ,establishment fears that any deal can produce new regional re alignments that can diminish the cohesiveness of US military alliances in East Asia. It is expected to share its influence in East Asia with other powers.
- US- north Korea deal could have been a possibility if sensitivities of North Korea are respected. North Korea Regime expects legitimacy, assurance of survival and an opportunity to economically transform itself. It sees its nuclear power as a bargaining chip and protection to the regime. US insistence on denuclearisation as a pre condition to summit has increased its insecurities further.
A health scheme that should not fail
Ayushman Bharat aims to improve health care in india through two strategies
- By upgrading 15000 sub centres in to wellness clinics to provide 12 sets of services.
- By providing health security to 40% of Indian population requiring hospitalisation for up to 5 lakh rupees.
Key issues in it are
- Inadequate allocation of finances.
- Massive shortages in the supply of services – Human Resources, Hospitals and diagnostic services.
- Health care services are inaccessible in rural areas. Inspite of having insurance, lack of services in rural areas can deprive them the essential services.
- If prices of private sector under the scheme are not regulated, it can ultimately lead to escalation of costs.
- Primary care services are not available in most of the rural areas.
Water management reforms are needed to avert public hardship and economic loss. Rural water storage structures, desalination of tanks, decentralised water storage and increasing water use efficiency need to be essential parts of water management.
Voice for choice.
Ireland votes in favour of abortion law. Citing religious reasons, Ireland did not allow for abortions in the country. There were no exceptions for pregnancies resulting from rape or incest, foetal abnormalities.
As per the new laws, women gets the right to terminate pregnancy up to 12 weeks. Abortions are permitted between 12 to 24 weeks then there are foetal abnormalities or if any grave risk to mother.Beyond this, abortion is allowed for fatal abnormalities.
A blow to civil service ideals
The Government proposal for allocation of services and cadres is legally and administratively unsound. The reasons are
- Constitutionally UPSC that determines merit is a constitutional body and its members have constitutional guarantees. Unlike this, heads of training institutions are civil servants under political and hierarchical control. In this scenario, service, cadre allocations are expected to suffer from corruption, nepotism and favouritism.
- Training academies today do not have enough capacities to train all the candidates at a single location. If they are trained at different locations it can bring in subjectivity.
- Many of the selected candidates take exam again to better their services. In this scenario, unless foundation course is mandatory it will not be feasible.
- Real problems of civil services are not at entry level. They are more with what happens after an officer joins the system. so, correction is required to make organisations to reward performance, loyalty, Integrity rather than obedience.
Economic Push needed
India needs to invest in economic development of North and Eastern region of Srilanka. As prime minister Ranil wickramsinghe suggests – an economic integration between southern states of India and srilanka can be a win win situation.
India protests Pakistan’s Gilgit Baltistan order
Pakistan attempt to integrate Gilgit Baltistan region to Federal structure of the country is questioned by India. India claims sovereignty over this region as it was part of erstwhile Jammu and Kashmir state.
Block chain being used in banking and contracts
Block chain technology is used in banking sector to reduce documentation and to increase operational efficiency. It can also be used by the state Govts to streamline land records.
A year on, UDAN is yet to soar
UDAN – regional air connectivity scheme did not realise full potential for the following reasons
- Infrastructure problems such development of airstrips is very slow.
- Many of the airlines like air odisha, air Deccan did not commence their operations yet.
Decoding Europe’s new data protection law
General data protection regulation of Europe released recently applies to all firms that supply goods and services in Europe. The regulation will radically transform privacy landscape of all organisations irrespective of their size. There are huge penalties involved for breach of privacy of European citizens.
In this context, Many firms in India did not gear up to the challenge yet.