UPSC IAS The Hindu Current Affairs 29th May 2018 highlights are:
- They allow for flexibility to continue political engagement and economic cooperation with their common adversary.
- They avoid entrapment of being dragged in to a partners dispute and potentially in to a conflict.
- At the same time, strategic partnership provides for regular political and military interactions for a collaborative approach to strategic policies.
India and Japan relations perfectly figure in to the above relationship.
- India will not get deep in to Japan disputes and the same is the case with Japan. A mutual cooperation exists on the wider issues where win win situation exists.
Important developments of India – Japan special strategic and global partnership are
- Japan is the only country India allowed to invest in infrastructure in North east.
- There is a joint infrastructure project development – Asia – Africa Growth corridor.
- Japan and India agreed to have annual summits and 2+ 2 format for defence and foreign ministers meeting.
- India is buying ShinMaywa Amphibious ships from Japan.
- Japan is investing in infrastructure development in Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
Nuclear deal in danger
Trump’s continuous tirade against Iran nuclear deal appears to be an end to Obama era pragmatism. Nuclear deal was successfully able to stop Iran form developing a nuclear weapon. Added to this, Iran never violated the deal. In these circumstances USA imposing sanctions against Iran, will set a dangerous precedent in international agreements. Iran nuclear deal being multilateral agreement, President shall end his rhetoric.
A big broom
Government effort to release names of shell companies, Name and shame its directors may not yield sufficient results to fight unaccounted money. In the process, there is a possibility of harassing genuine companies or directors.
The best way forward is to arrest systemic shortcomings.
Tax payer rights and obligations
Indian tax administration system shall move from an enforcement to a service based model. Intentions of reforms are good but they are reactive. DTAA, GAAR, transfer price mechanism, implementation of GST all have challenges.
improvement in taxpayers’ service, enhanced use of information and communication technology, exchange of information with other agencies, expansion of tax base, compliance management, etc. Need to be improved to make tax administration Service oriented.
Beyond social Media
In India Geographical indications (Registration and protection) act 1999 has provided for registration of Geographical indications. There is no effective monitoring mechanism for quality compliance of the same. Unlike this in the European regulation clearly provides for monitoring at multiple levels. India also shall have the same.
NCERT Videos Available at www.laex.in/testprep
29 May 2018
Sterlite copper told to shut shop in TN
Tamil Nadu Government ordered Vedanta group to shut down its copper smelter in Thoothukudi. Violation of pollution control norms are cited as reason.
Looking for a new clarity
Supreme court of India as an institution shall protect constitutional values. Independence of judiciary essentially depends on Appointment of Judges and Integrity of their office. In this context recent issues that are highlighted are
- Government rejection of appointment of K M Joseph as judge of Supreme Court.
- Increasing corruption in higher Judiciary. A fine balance between judicial independence and judicial accountability is necessary.
- CJI and his authority on roster. Constitution is silent on the administrative role that that CJI performs.
There are many legal gray areas in constitution. There are filled through conventions. Legal practice shall take cognisance of these.
Protecting incarcerated woman
Legal system need to take a lenient view in confining women and her dependant children. Empirical evidence suggests that
- Women offenders are themselves victims of crime before they turn to crime.
- Children of confined women do not have physical and emotional support.
- Protecting women inmates form sexual and non sexual violence is another challenge.
Take it over
Centre Government has agreed to cease its operations in Jammu and Kashmir. It can build good will for the union Government and can cease cycle of violence and fresh recruitments.
Centre can build over this and consolidate outcomes by initiating ceasefire and talks with Pakistan. Special interlocutor efforts to reach out to all sections of community is welcome initiative.
The Jan Than Yojana, four years later
Jan Dhan Yojana and its performance can be evaluated on the following indicators.
- Operational accounts – Jan dhan Yojana though created accounts, they did not become operational.
- Access to credit- use in accounts did not led to rise in commensurate rise in access to credit. It is remarkable in rural areas. Share of small borrowers is falling.
- Dependance of poor households on Money lenders is still did not decrease.
The cost of deterrence
India and Pakistan testing nuclear weapons and diversion of funds to defence had impact on welfare in both the countries. Added to this, traditional supremacy enjoyed by india is undermined due to nuclear equivalence.