UPSC IAS The Hindu Current Affairs 1st JUNE 2018 highlights are:
- They allow for flexibility to continue political engagement and economic cooperation with their common adversary.
- They avoid entrapment of being dragged in to a partners dispute and potentially in to a conflict.
- At the same time, strategic partnership provides for regular political and military interactions for a collaborative approach to strategic policies.
India and Japan relations perfectly figure in to the above relationship.
- India will not get deep in to Japan disputes and the same is the case with Japan. A mutual cooperation exists on the wider issues where win win situation exists.
Important developments of India – Japan special strategic and global partnership are
- Japan is the only country India allowed to invest in infrastructure in North east.
- There is a joint infrastructure project development – Asia – Africa Growth corridor.
- Japan and India agreed to have annual summits and 2+ 2 format for defence and foreign ministers meeting.
- India is buying ShinMaywa Amphibious ships from Japan.
- Japan is investing in infrastructure development in Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
Nuclear deal in danger
Trump’s continuous tirade against Iran nuclear deal appears to be an end to Obama era pragmatism. Nuclear deal was successfully able to stop Iran form developing a nuclear weapon. Added to this, Iran never violated the deal. In these circumstances USA imposing sanctions against Iran, will set a dangerous precedent in international agreements. Iran nuclear deal being multilateral agreement, President shall end his rhetoric.
A big broom
Government effort to release names of shell companies, Name and shame its directors may not yield sufficient results to fight unaccounted money. In the process, there is a possibility of harassing genuine companies or directors.
The best way forward is to arrest systemic shortcomings.
Tax payer rights and obligations
Indian tax administration system shall move from an enforcement to a service based model. Intentions of reforms are good but they are reactive. DTAA, GAAR, transfer price mechanism, implementation of GST all have challenges.
improvement in taxpayers’ service, enhanced use of information and communication technology, exchange of information with other agencies, expansion of tax base, compliance management, etc. Need to be improved to make tax administration Service oriented.
Beyond social Media
In India Geographical indications (Registration and protection) act 1999 has provided for registration of Geographical indications. There is no effective monitoring mechanism for quality compliance of the same. Unlike this in the European regulation clearly provides for monitoring at multiple levels. India also shall have the same.
NCERT Videos Available at www.laex.in/testprep
01 June 2018
Government puts financial year18 growth at 6.7%
GDP growth revised upwards by the Government. Strong growth in last quarter driven by Manufacturing and construction sector are reasons for this revision.
Polls and Polarisation
Consolidation of opposition vote bank is the reason for the loss of BJP in By elections across the country. This political polarisation can affect prospects of BJP in North india in general elections.
Guarding the peso
President Mauricio Macri of Argentina is facing an uphill task of reforming economy. High sovereign debt, fall in commodity prices, capital outflow due to rise in interest rates in USA, inflation are the reasons for its economic woes .
What will the caretaker Government take care of? In Pakistan Military and Judiciary worked hand in glove to dominate democratically elected Parliament. Doctrine of necessity has become the pretext for this. This relation went sour in 2007 when president Mushraff asked to resign Chief Justice of Pakistan. Later, PML(N) Government was toppled by the supreme court and Nawaz sharif barred form public office for lifetime. It is for not being sagacious and righteous muslim.
In this scenario, self righteous attitude of Supreme Court pre decided the election outcomes. So, interim Prime Minister has little to do. At best he can conduct election on time. They can not be free and fair.
Settling disputes out of court
Commercial courts act, 2015 amended with an ordinance by the Government. It has introduced mandatory pre litigation mediation before going to courts. Arbitration and conciliation act, 1996 makes settlement arrived at through conciliation enforceable trough a court of law.
mediation is a process of resolution of disputes by the parties themselves through a mediator. In Italy, if a case is resolved through mediation, parties gets tax benefits. In UK, costs are imposed on disputants refusing to mediate. India also needs incentivise disputants to mediate.
How to be garbage free
Behavioural change communication is key to change attitudes and behavioural patterns of people towards cleanliness.
Regulating Medical education
Government agreed amendments to the national medical commission bill. Highlights of this are
- Final MBBS examination will be regarded as an common exit exam rather than conducting a separate exam.
- Bridge course for Ayush doctors to practice allopathy is removed.
- Maximum % of fee regulated seats in private medical college is increased from 40% to 50%.
- States representation in commission increased from three to six.
- Doctors composition in NMC is raised to 21.
US renames pacific command
Pacific command of USA is renamed as Indo pacific command. It signifies growing importance of India in global affairs.