UPSC IAS The Hindu Current Affairs 2th JUNE 2018 highlights are:
- They allow for flexibility to continue political engagement and economic cooperation with their common adversary.
- They avoid entrapment of being dragged in to a partners dispute and potentially in to a conflict.
- At the same time, strategic partnership provides for regular political and military interactions for a collaborative approach to strategic policies.
India and Japan relations perfectly figure in to the above relationship.
- India will not get deep in to Japan disputes and the same is the case with Japan. A mutual cooperation exists on the wider issues where win win situation exists.
Important developments of India – Japan special strategic and global partnership are
- Japan is the only country India allowed to invest in infrastructure in North east.
- There is a joint infrastructure project development – Asia – Africa Growth corridor.
- Japan and India agreed to have annual summits and 2+ 2 format for defence and foreign ministers meeting.
- India is buying ShinMaywa Amphibious ships from Japan.
- Japan is investing in infrastructure development in Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
Nuclear deal in danger
Trump’s continuous tirade against Iran nuclear deal appears to be an end to Obama era pragmatism. Nuclear deal was successfully able to stop Iran form developing a nuclear weapon. Added to this, Iran never violated the deal. In these circumstances USA imposing sanctions against Iran, will set a dangerous precedent in international agreements. Iran nuclear deal being multilateral agreement, President shall end his rhetoric.
A big broom
Government effort to release names of shell companies, Name and shame its directors may not yield sufficient results to fight unaccounted money. In the process, there is a possibility of harassing genuine companies or directors.
The best way forward is to arrest systemic shortcomings.
Tax payer rights and obligations
Indian tax administration system shall move from an enforcement to a service based model. Intentions of reforms are good but they are reactive. DTAA, GAAR, transfer price mechanism, implementation of GST all have challenges.
improvement in taxpayers’ service, enhanced use of information and communication technology, exchange of information with other agencies, expansion of tax base, compliance management, etc. Need to be improved to make tax administration Service oriented.
Beyond social Media
In India Geographical indications (Registration and protection) act 1999 has provided for registration of Geographical indications. There is no effective monitoring mechanism for quality compliance of the same. Unlike this in the European regulation clearly provides for monitoring at multiple levels. India also shall have the same.
NCERT Videos Available at www.laex.in/testprep
Citizenship bill may have to wait for house nod
Citizenship amendment bill, 2016 proposes to amend citizenship act, 1955. It states that six persecuted minorities Hindus, sikhs, christians, Parsis, Buddhists and Jains from Pakistan, Afghanistan and Bangladesh who came to India before December 3, 2014 may not be treated as illegal immigrants.
There are agitations in Assam stating that bill goes against provision of Assam accord.
Prime Minister affirms India’s strategic autonomy
Prime Minister modi asserts India’s strategic economy and cautions USA,Russia and china against returning to the age of great power rivalries.
Mixed growth signals
Q4 growth in India showed remarkable improvement due to push from manufacturing and construction activity. As these two sectors are worst affected by demonetisation, revival of growth in theses reflects recovery of economy from these effects.
As monsoons are expected to be normal, rural demand is also expected to have a broadband revival.
On the other side Private final consumption expenditure continues to languish and is a cause for concern. Rising global oil prices, inflation can be the concerns for economy.
The democracy project in Bangladesh
Bertelsmann foundation transformation index 2018 has rated 58 countries out of 129 developing countries as autocracies. It is based on democracy, market economy and governance parameters.
Bangladesh is one among them. Reasons are
- Interim Government headed by military to oversee conduct of elections are done away with. Past experiences shows that military tried to influence elections or become contenders for power.
- Opposition BNP has boycotted elections accusing awami league as usurping power by manipulating elections.
- Awami league is ably arrest spread of hate violence in country.
- It s performance is remarkable on counter terrorism front.
- Bangladesh social indicators improved remarkably.
Chasing a rainbow alliance
BJP has won 2014 election with 31.34% votes and it’s major success is in converting its votes in to seats. First pass the post system made it possible. The same system can work other way round if opposition parties come together. It is visible in by elections where BJP is constantly losing.
On the other hand, making opposition to align and sync with each other is very difficult. Alliances work best hewn they are complementary rather than overlapping. It is the biggest task.
Anatomy of an out break
Nipah outbreak in kerala –
Identification of exotic virus and immediate action to confine spread of virus is remarkable in India’s history.