UPSC IAS The Hindu Current Affairs 4th JUNE 2018 highlights are:
- They allow for flexibility to continue political engagement and economic cooperation with their common adversary.
- They avoid entrapment of being dragged in to a partners dispute and potentially in to a conflict.
- At the same time, strategic partnership provides for regular political and military interactions for a collaborative approach to strategic policies.
India and Japan relations perfectly figure in to the above relationship.
- India will not get deep in to Japan disputes and the same is the case with Japan. A mutual cooperation exists on the wider issues where win win situation exists.
Important developments of India – Japan special strategic and global partnership are
- Japan is the only country India allowed to invest in infrastructure in North east.
- There is a joint infrastructure project development – Asia – Africa Growth corridor.
- Japan and India agreed to have annual summits and 2+ 2 format for defence and foreign ministers meeting.
- India is buying ShinMaywa Amphibious ships from Japan.
- Japan is investing in infrastructure development in Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
Nuclear deal in danger
Trump’s continuous tirade against Iran nuclear deal appears to be an end to Obama era pragmatism. Nuclear deal was successfully able to stop Iran form developing a nuclear weapon. Added to this, Iran never violated the deal. In these circumstances USA imposing sanctions against Iran, will set a dangerous precedent in international agreements. Iran nuclear deal being multilateral agreement, President shall end his rhetoric.
A big broom
Government effort to release names of shell companies, Name and shame its directors may not yield sufficient results to fight unaccounted money. In the process, there is a possibility of harassing genuine companies or directors.
The best way forward is to arrest systemic shortcomings.
Tax payer rights and obligations
Indian tax administration system shall move from an enforcement to a service based model. Intentions of reforms are good but they are reactive. DTAA, GAAR, transfer price mechanism, implementation of GST all have challenges.
improvement in taxpayers’ service, enhanced use of information and communication technology, exchange of information with other agencies, expansion of tax base, compliance management, etc. Need to be improved to make tax administration Service oriented.
Beyond social Media
In India Geographical indications (Registration and protection) act 1999 has provided for registration of Geographical indications. There is no effective monitoring mechanism for quality compliance of the same. Unlike this in the European regulation clearly provides for monitoring at multiple levels. India also shall have the same.
NCERT Videos Available at www.laex.in/testprep
04 June 2018
2 jawans killed as Pak forces resume firing in Jammu
Just six days after the DGMOs of India and Pakistan agreed to implement 2003 ceasefire agreement, Pakistan resumed firing across International border. It clearly shows lack of sincerity.
Centre and state Governments took windfall benefits due to tax hikes on petrol and Diesel. As oil prices are souring, this is expected to hurt economic growth and can add to inflation. So, the way forward is to bring diesel and petrol under GST and to cut the tax rates.
Fire with out smoke
India is able to reduce prevalence of cigarette smoking. It is in alignment with 2025 WHO global plan to tackle non communicable diseases. On the other side, smokeless tobacco consumption is increasing. Bigger challenge is women and children are also getting addicted to smokeless tobacco. Guthkas, Khaini or Surthi are few of them.
Heed the echoes of June 4
C Rajagopalachari – symbolises right in Inidan politics. His party swatantra party opposed single party dominance and created space for opposition. Unlike expected, His news paper, swarajya did not become a voice for his party. In this freedom of speech is protected and kept above the narrow party interests.
Similarly in south Africa, nelson Mandela agreed to work with communists inspite of ideological differences. It is to strive for greater values. He also emphasised the need for opposition unity to fight power that is non tolerant or a threat to democracy.
About a small Mauritian island
India is soon expected to establish its Naval base in Mauritian Archipelago – Agalega. Indian and Mauritius Government agreed that as a part of MOU for infrastructure development. Similarly china is developing a naval base in Djibouti. USA have its naval base in Diego Garcia.
So, Many countries developing their naval bases in Indian Ocean goes agains the objective to declare Indian ocean as a Zone of peace.
Federalism that’s not cooperative
In best interests of cooperative federalism,
- Centre shall give its terms of reference in consultation with states.
- Finance commission of India is also constitutionally responsible to make recommendations to augment resources of local governments. These are conspicuous by their absence in terms of reference. 13th finance commission have connected local grants to divisive pool of taxes. Unlike this, Terms of reference of 15th finance commission talks about performance incentives.
Increase in money power in Indian elections and populism are pushing India towards a plutocracy. There is a strong alliance of class interest and political power is visible in india.
Government mulls GST hike for farmers welfare fund.
Government is planning to rise GST by 1% to provide for farmers welfare fund.
Waiver for India unlikely from Russian sanctions
India is unexpected to get a waiver from CAASA ( countering American adversaries through sanctions act) for its defence imports from Russia.