UPSC IAS The Hindu Current Affairs 5th JUNE 2018 highlights are:
- They allow for flexibility to continue political engagement and economic cooperation with their common adversary.
- They avoid entrapment of being dragged in to a partners dispute and potentially in to a conflict.
- At the same time, strategic partnership provides for regular political and military interactions for a collaborative approach to strategic policies.
India and Japan relations perfectly figure in to the above relationship.
- India will not get deep in to Japan disputes and the same is the case with Japan. A mutual cooperation exists on the wider issues where win win situation exists.
Important developments of India – Japan special strategic and global partnership are
- Japan is the only country India allowed to invest in infrastructure in North east.
- There is a joint infrastructure project development – Asia – Africa Growth corridor.
- Japan and India agreed to have annual summits and 2+ 2 format for defence and foreign ministers meeting.
- India is buying ShinMaywa Amphibious ships from Japan.
- Japan is investing in infrastructure development in Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
Nuclear deal in danger
Trump’s continuous tirade against Iran nuclear deal appears to be an end to Obama era pragmatism. Nuclear deal was successfully able to stop Iran form developing a nuclear weapon. Added to this, Iran never violated the deal. In these circumstances USA imposing sanctions against Iran, will set a dangerous precedent in international agreements. Iran nuclear deal being multilateral agreement, President shall end his rhetoric.
A big broom
Government effort to release names of shell companies, Name and shame its directors may not yield sufficient results to fight unaccounted money. In the process, there is a possibility of harassing genuine companies or directors.
The best way forward is to arrest systemic shortcomings.
Tax payer rights and obligations
Indian tax administration system shall move from an enforcement to a service based model. Intentions of reforms are good but they are reactive. DTAA, GAAR, transfer price mechanism, implementation of GST all have challenges.
improvement in taxpayers’ service, enhanced use of information and communication technology, exchange of information with other agencies, expansion of tax base, compliance management, etc. Need to be improved to make tax administration Service oriented.
Beyond social Media
In India Geographical indications (Registration and protection) act 1999 has provided for registration of Geographical indications. There is no effective monitoring mechanism for quality compliance of the same. Unlike this in the European regulation clearly provides for monitoring at multiple levels. India also shall have the same.
NCERT Videos Available at www.laex.in/testprep
05 June 2918
Rajasthan, AP, Kerala record top performances in NEET
National eligibility cum entrance test – NEET conducted by CBSE announced its result. Rajasthan, Telangana, AP performed well. Maharashtra and Tamilnadu did not fare well.
To be an environmental world power
Every country in South Asia has become populist and consumerist with increased emphasis on growth and production. It has serious implications for environment and sustainability. In India, civic participation is encouraged in protection of environment on paper and is rarely seen in action.
Rivers in to sewers
In India and most of the countries Environmental protection is seen as synonymous with wildlife protection. River water, air, sound pollution, plastic waste, e waste are all neglected aspects of environment protection.
Colonial era irrigation models based on flooding, economic and demographic forces, hydroelectric dams, encroachment of flood plains, urban/industrial effluents and obstruction of drainage are all the factors responsible for river degradation.
Along with this, glaciers are fast receding and atmospheric brown cloud is cited as a reason.
This challenge can raise climate refugees. Urban middle class are not visible in environmentalism other than beautification projects.
The way forward is to concerns for environmental system shall be inbuilt in to our laws. Empowerment of local communities and governments is also essential.
Governance and Governor
Misuse of the office is not a justification for removing it altogether. We need proper checks.
Governor’s office is a crucial link with in our federal structure in maintaining effective communication between the centre and states. He is expected to be a neutral arbiter. In these circumstances following steps are necessary to depoliticise governor’s office.
- Eminent persons rather than career politicians need to be appointed to the office of governor.
- Governors tenure need to be fixed. Arbitrary removal of the governor from the office need to be avoided. Supreme Court of India in BP Singhal vs Union of India case held that fixed tenure for governor could go quite far in encouraging neutrality and fairness in the discharge of their duties, unmindful of dispensation at the centre.
- Governor discretionary powers need to be clearly spelt out and necessary checks need to be imposed. Supreme Court of India in SR Bommai case already stated that governor’s report that formed basis for imposition of emergency comes under Judicial Scrutiny.
On going Gaon Bandh agitation reflects deep seated malaise in our agricultural policies. Government failure to enhance MSP’s, failure promise of loan waivers by various Governments, are all the reasons.
Available, accessible but not stable
Food security efforts of India can be divided in to two phases.
First phase emphasised on availability of food which is centred around production. World food conference 1974 defined food security primarily in terms of production – as the availability at all times of adequate world food supplies.
The second phase emphasised on access to food. In1996, world food summit stated that food security was achieved when all people, at all times have physical and economic access to sufficient, safe and Nutritious food. It emphasis on removing financial and Physical barriers to food.
The other aspect of food security is utilisation and stability. Utilisation is connected with health and sanitation. But, stability is connected with sustainable availability of food even during adverse circumstances.
National food security act is available only to 75% of population. It suffers from exclusion errors. It also specifies that claim under the act would not be available in times of war, flood, drought, cyclone etc. so, stability need to be focussed in our food security.
The rot in rehabilitation
Eco restoration projects in urban areas in india are displacing ecologies of low income settlements and Urban livelihoods. The objective of Slum free cities is leading to large urban agglomerations of poor people with out basic amenities. Government need to ficus on education, health, access in these areas.
If not people living here can become victims of Urban penalties like crime and other social problems.
Protect the great and small
If bio diversity need to be well protected states shall have a say in listing protected species under wild life protection act, 1972.
Be agents of change, president tells governors
President of India Shri Ramnath Kovind stated that people of a state look at Governor’s office as fount of values. So, Governor need to act as mentor and guide for their governments. He also said governors shall act as Guardians to India’s Youth.
In S4000 deal, USA is the elephant in the room
S 400 triumf missiles are long range air defence missile system which consists of a surface to air missile that can track and shoot down 80 simultaneous targets. USA sanctions against Russia under CAASA act can obstruct this procurement.
India seeks new security forum
India urged for support of other BRICS countries to create a new security forum.
War games to hone anti sub marine skills
Malabar exercise between navies of India, Japan and USA are deploying maritime reconnaissance aircrafts and submarines in this year exercise.