UPSC IAS The Hindu Current Affairs 6th JUNE 2018 highlights are:
- They allow for flexibility to continue political engagement and economic cooperation with their common adversary.
- They avoid entrapment of being dragged in to a partners dispute and potentially in to a conflict.
- At the same time, strategic partnership provides for regular political and military interactions for a collaborative approach to strategic policies.
India and Japan relations perfectly figure in to the above relationship.
- India will not get deep in to Japan disputes and the same is the case with Japan. A mutual cooperation exists on the wider issues where win win situation exists.
Important developments of India – Japan special strategic and global partnership are
- Japan is the only country India allowed to invest in infrastructure in North east.
- There is a joint infrastructure project development – Asia – Africa Growth corridor.
- Japan and India agreed to have annual summits and 2+ 2 format for defence and foreign ministers meeting.
- India is buying ShinMaywa Amphibious ships from Japan.
- Japan is investing in infrastructure development in Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
Nuclear deal in danger
Trump’s continuous tirade against Iran nuclear deal appears to be an end to Obama era pragmatism. Nuclear deal was successfully able to stop Iran form developing a nuclear weapon. Added to this, Iran never violated the deal. In these circumstances USA imposing sanctions against Iran, will set a dangerous precedent in international agreements. Iran nuclear deal being multilateral agreement, President shall end his rhetoric.
A big broom
Government effort to release names of shell companies, Name and shame its directors may not yield sufficient results to fight unaccounted money. In the process, there is a possibility of harassing genuine companies or directors.
The best way forward is to arrest systemic shortcomings.
Tax payer rights and obligations
Indian tax administration system shall move from an enforcement to a service based model. Intentions of reforms are good but they are reactive. DTAA, GAAR, transfer price mechanism, implementation of GST all have challenges.
improvement in taxpayers’ service, enhanced use of information and communication technology, exchange of information with other agencies, expansion of tax base, compliance management, etc. Need to be improved to make tax administration Service oriented.
Beyond social Media
In India Geographical indications (Registration and protection) act 1999 has provided for registration of Geographical indications. There is no effective monitoring mechanism for quality compliance of the same. Unlike this in the European regulation clearly provides for monitoring at multiple levels. India also shall have the same.
NCERT Videos Available at www.laex.in/testprep
06 June 2018
Army will abide by Government peace plan
Defence Minister Nirmala Sitaraman dated that Army will abide by the Government of India decision to suspend military operation in the mont h of Ramzan in kashmir valley.
She also said that talks on s400 triumph systems are in final stages and there is no shortage of funds.
Centre not to file counter Affidavit on Article 35A
Art 35A of Indian constitution was introduced by a presidential order on the advice of cabinet in1954. It was followed Delhi agreement between Prime Minister Nehru and Kashmir chief minister sheikh Abdullah. This agreement extended Indian citizenship to subjects of state of Jammu and kashmir.
Art 35A bars a non Jammu and Kashmir resident from buying property in the state and ensures job reservation. It allows states to decide permanent residents.
It was challenged in the supreme court stating Art 35A is against the very spirit of oneness of India as it creates a class with in a class of Indian citizens. Another petition states that Art 35A restricts the basic right to property if a native woman marries a man not holding a permanent resident certificate.
A failure of governance
ICICI bank is in the eye of storm on corporate governance norms related to conflict of interest issues. Bank headed consortium of banks to provide loan to videocon group with which its CEO’s husband had business contacts. Here, corporate governance norms failed on four fronts.
- Failure to inform issues of conflict of interest by the CEO to board of directors.
- Lack of immediate response from the board when while blower raised the issue.
- Continuation of CEO in office while enquiry is on.
- Failure of nominees of Government and LIC and independent directors to raise their voice.
Preventing Next health crisis
Child hood Obesity is a growing crisis in India. It is facing challenges of undernutrition, Mal Nutrition and over nutrition. so, india need to work on both adequate and appropriate nutrition. It shall move from food security to nutritional security.
Appropriate responses for this can be
- Encouraging diversity of consumption and food choices.
- Obesity and undernutrition need to be covered under universal health coverage umbrella.
- Prevention and early care solutions for obesity.
- Higher taxes on junk foods and regulation of junk food in and around schools.
Life in plastic
- Solid waste management rules and plastic waste management rules, 2016 are not been actively implemented in India.
- Local governments have responsibilities to handle plastic and there are no resources and capabilities to collect and process them. State Governments are expected to monitor them and which is not done properly. It is the centre responsibility to implement environmental protection law in letter and spirit. so, failure is systematic and at all levels.
- Most of the plastic in India is clogging sewage systems and polluting rivers causing myriad of problems. Ganga-Brahmaputra and Meghana river system is on the UN map of 10 rivers world wide that carry plastic waste in to seas.
Prime Minister Modi signals foreign policy reorientation at shangri la dialogue speech.
- He emphasised strategic autonomy for india and a principled position rather than just directed by transactionlism and pragmatism.
- India also has maintained its commitment with USA to free and open Indo pacific region, international rules based orders and to work together to combat terrorism and terror financing. On the other side it became a member of SCO and Prime Minister Modi participated in informal summits with president xi jingling and Putin.
A S Dulat – Highlights
- India need to reach out to all sections in kashmir and Pakistan. Way forward is engagement and it has to be continuous.
- Islamic state and Pan islamic Jihad did not enter kashmir for the reason that Kashmiriyat is still alive.
- Kashmiri pandits need to be invited to valley to protect its composite culture.
Nitrogen emissions are going up – will be covered in core.