UPSC IAS The Hindu Current Affairs 8th JUNE 2018 highlights are:
- They allow for flexibility to continue political engagement and economic cooperation with their common adversary.
- They avoid entrapment of being dragged in to a partners dispute and potentially in to a conflict.
- At the same time, strategic partnership provides for regular political and military interactions for a collaborative approach to strategic policies.
India and Japan relations perfectly figure in to the above relationship.
- India will not get deep in to Japan disputes and the same is the case with Japan. A mutual cooperation exists on the wider issues where win win situation exists.
Important developments of India – Japan special strategic and global partnership are
- Japan is the only country India allowed to invest in infrastructure in North east.
- There is a joint infrastructure project development – Asia – Africa Growth corridor.
- Japan and India agreed to have annual summits and 2+ 2 format for defence and foreign ministers meeting.
- India is buying ShinMaywa Amphibious ships from Japan.
- Japan is investing in infrastructure development in Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
Nuclear deal in danger
Trump’s continuous tirade against Iran nuclear deal appears to be an end to Obama era pragmatism. Nuclear deal was successfully able to stop Iran form developing a nuclear weapon. Added to this, Iran never violated the deal. In these circumstances USA imposing sanctions against Iran, will set a dangerous precedent in international agreements. Iran nuclear deal being multilateral agreement, President shall end his rhetoric.
A big broom
Government effort to release names of shell companies, Name and shame its directors may not yield sufficient results to fight unaccounted money. In the process, there is a possibility of harassing genuine companies or directors.
The best way forward is to arrest systemic shortcomings.
Tax payer rights and obligations
Indian tax administration system shall move from an enforcement to a service based model. Intentions of reforms are good but they are reactive. DTAA, GAAR, transfer price mechanism, implementation of GST all have challenges.
improvement in taxpayers’ service, enhanced use of information and communication technology, exchange of information with other agencies, expansion of tax base, compliance management, etc. Need to be improved to make tax administration Service oriented.
Beyond social Media
In India Geographical indications (Registration and protection) act 1999 has provided for registration of Geographical indications. There is no effective monitoring mechanism for quality compliance of the same. Unlike this in the European regulation clearly provides for monitoring at multiple levels. India also shall have the same.
NCERT Videos Available at www.laex.in/testprep
08 June 2018
Talks only with right minded people in J&K, says Rajnath
Union home minister Rajnath Singh said that centre was ready to hold talks with rights minded people in Jammu and Kashmir, Pakistan. He insisted that Pakistan should stop terror activities emanating from its soil.
We derive our strength from tolerance
Highlights of Pranab Da speech at RSS Headquarters
- Indian nationalism is based on constitutional pluralism.
- Secularism and inclusion were a matter of faith to the country.
- Constitution of India is not merely a legal document but a magna carta of socioeconomic transformation.
- Soul of INDIA resides in Pluralism and tolerance.
- We must free our discourse from all forms of violence.
The thoothukudi fables
Recent firings in Thoothukudi are reflections of microcosm of changed state-corporate- citizen relationship. Corporations have become powerful and developed strong connections with state and citizens are pushed to Periphery. This obviously puts democracy in danger.
A psychology of fear is created across the communities and old anarchic British law is helpful for the state to maintain its control. Police force in India remained a brutal instrument of the state. There exists a deep suspicion on pro active citizenship.
In this scenario, way forward is
- As Emile Durkheim said in his classic professional ethics and civic morals, only the ethics of profession like law and medicine can counter the emptiness of the state.
- Civil society need to take central stage and its active reports from the ground need to be basis for understanding realities.
- People’s idea of knowledge must be seen as central to democracy and need to be encouraged.
Sustaining earth for future
Modern extinction rates are much faster and much wider. Past conservation efforts failed to take concerns of social Justice and Equity. so, way forward is society, science and human nature need to intertwine with each other.
In search of friends
BJP which was emboldened and arrogant before is rethinking on its relations with allies. It clearly shows era of coalition politics and regional parties did not end in India.
Is the Indian economy on an upswung now?
V shaped recovery today in India is driven by domestic growth impulses. Though India appears to be reverie from twin effects of demonetisation and GST, headwinds to economic growth still remain. Important points to note are
- Sharp recovery is entirely based on domestic factors as the contribution of net export growth is Zero or negative.
- Government consumption is supportive of growth. But private consumption and investment are not.
- Fiscal space available for states and centre is very limited to expand their expenditure and investment.
- External environment is not very favourable.
- oil prices are rising. It will worsen current account deficit.
- Flight of capital is imminent as US fed is increasing interest rates.
- Export growth did not show positive impact or growth till date.
- Private investment and credit off take from the banks is not very encouraging.
India not ready to sign the Hague treaty
The Government is not ready to sign the Hague treaty on inter country abduction of children by parents fleeing a bad marriage.