UPSC IAS The Hindu Current Affairs 9th JUNE 2018 highlights are:
- They allow for flexibility to continue political engagement and economic cooperation with their common adversary.
- They avoid entrapment of being dragged in to a partners dispute and potentially in to a conflict.
- At the same time, strategic partnership provides for regular political and military interactions for a collaborative approach to strategic policies.
India and Japan relations perfectly figure in to the above relationship.
- India will not get deep in to Japan disputes and the same is the case with Japan. A mutual cooperation exists on the wider issues where win win situation exists.
Important developments of India – Japan special strategic and global partnership are
- Japan is the only country India allowed to invest in infrastructure in North east.
- There is a joint infrastructure project development – Asia – Africa Growth corridor.
- Japan and India agreed to have annual summits and 2+ 2 format for defence and foreign ministers meeting.
- India is buying ShinMaywa Amphibious ships from Japan.
- Japan is investing in infrastructure development in Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
Nuclear deal in danger
Trump’s continuous tirade against Iran nuclear deal appears to be an end to Obama era pragmatism. Nuclear deal was successfully able to stop Iran form developing a nuclear weapon. Added to this, Iran never violated the deal. In these circumstances USA imposing sanctions against Iran, will set a dangerous precedent in international agreements. Iran nuclear deal being multilateral agreement, President shall end his rhetoric.
A big broom
Government effort to release names of shell companies, Name and shame its directors may not yield sufficient results to fight unaccounted money. In the process, there is a possibility of harassing genuine companies or directors.
The best way forward is to arrest systemic shortcomings.
Tax payer rights and obligations
Indian tax administration system shall move from an enforcement to a service based model. Intentions of reforms are good but they are reactive. DTAA, GAAR, transfer price mechanism, implementation of GST all have challenges.
improvement in taxpayers’ service, enhanced use of information and communication technology, exchange of information with other agencies, expansion of tax base, compliance management, etc. Need to be improved to make tax administration Service oriented.
Beyond social Media
In India Geographical indications (Registration and protection) act 1999 has provided for registration of Geographical indications. There is no effective monitoring mechanism for quality compliance of the same. Unlike this in the European regulation clearly provides for monitoring at multiple levels. India also shall have the same.
NCERT Videos Available at www.laex.in/testprep
09 June 2018
Modi likely to take the spirit of Wuhan to QIngdao
Prime Minister Modi is likely to take forward the spirit of Wuhan and Sochi at SCO summit in Qingdao. India is emerging as an important partner and player in SCO. It is seen as rejection of unilateralism.
J&K to get 2 new border battalions
Describing border residents of Jammu and Kashmir as a strategic asset, union home minister Rajnath Singh announced the rising of two exclusive border battalions of state police. These battalions will have 60% reservations for border residents.
Different states showed varied levels of performance in NEET exam – A national level common entrance test for medical admissions. Major take aways are
- Coaching centres and expensive coaching classes made a big difference to few states.
- A common entrance test – doubts exist on how it can serve diverse country such as India.
Overall, there is no escaping the fact that country is committed to having uniform standards in medical education. so, states are expected to gear up for the challenge.
A vicious cycle
EU also have decided to impose tariffs against products imported from USA. It is an expected retaliation for US imposition of tariffs on Aluminium andSteel. Mexico, Canada are expected to follow similar line.
Trade tariffs are detrimental to global economic growth and it benefits none. It worst affects consumers due to rise in prices of various products.
An unexceptional economic performance
- NDA Government has prioritised easing constraints on supply side. It focussed on ease of doing business and Make in India.
- Demand side is neglected and it got worst affected due to demonetisation. It is visible in the monetary and fiscal policy stance of the Government.
- Focus on fiscal consolidation left little space for demand creation. similarly, inflation targeting by monetary policy affected growth of output.
- Though fiscal consolidation is emphasised, there is no focus on decreasing revenue expenditure and rising capital asset creating expenditure.
- On exports front, India failed to show reasonable performance. Inspite of global growth recovery, Indian exports did not improve much.
- Balance of payments is shored up by capital inflow and current account is perennially in a deficit state.
Questions of promotion
Barring a few exceptions, the Judiciary has not been encouraging on quotas
Indira Sawhney case is the land mark judgement in relation to reservation in India is concerned.
Before that position of the supreme court was
- Caste is important but it is not the sole determinant of backwardness.
- Caste and class are not synonymous.
- Supreme court stuck down the distinction between backward and more backward communities.
- It introduced 50% upward limit in reservation.
Later supreme court of India in Indira Sawhney case held that
- Caste can be and quite often is a social class in India
Later supreme court upheld reservations in promotions in Nagaraju case but imposed three conditions.
- Backwardness of SC/ST
- Inadequacy of their representation in Public employment
- Overall efficiency of administration.
US wants India Out of S 400 deal
Trump administration is trying to discourage India from buying large defence systems from Russia.
CPEC is elephant in the room
Defence minister Nirmala sitharaman while agreeing that CPEC, growing China’s military assistance to Pakistan as major irritants held that India do not like to see its relations with china form the prism of China Pakistan relations.
Delhi charts new line on Indo Pacific area
India has clearly stated that its maritime partnerships would not be restricted to the Quad formation with the USA and its allies. It also stated Quad is one of the multilateral dialogue forum and is not directed against any other country.
Panel to mull ARC for stressed assets
Finance ministry has set up a committee to examine the possibility of setting up of an asset reconstruction company to deal with NPAs of banks. PNB’s non executive chairman Sunil Mehta is heading this panel.