14 June 2018
Downturn in ties with Maldives hits Indians Job opportunities
Many of the Keralities were employed in Maldives tourism industry. After emergency imposed in Maldives, reactions took a downward turn. It has become difficult for Indians to obtain a work visa in Maldives.
An improbable friendship
North Korea and USA friendship has a history. North Korea pulling out of NPT, Nuclear and Missile tests were a trouble for USA. Similarly, USA withdrawal from its promises like building nuclear reactors, lifting sanctions was an issue for mistrust for North Korea.
Added to this, internationally different countries have different interests with Korean conflict. China and Russia wants to keep them relevant. South Korea wants peace, China is worried about American THAAD missiles, Japan and USA wants complete, verifiable, irreversible denuclearisation. Above all, North Korea seeks regime legitimacy, regime security and sanctions relief.
In the above context, summit between president Trump ad Kim Jong un is historic by every standard.
Government of India has an objective to produce 175 GW of energy from renewable energy sources by 2022. In this 100gw shall come form solar and out of which 40gw from rooftop installations and 60Gw from solar parks. There are many challenges to achieve above objectives.
- Technological and financial challenges remain. Both wind and Solar energy ca be erratic
- Progress till date is very slow and installation capacity as on today is only 69Gw.
- Government of India is having pressure from solar photovoltaic cell manufacturers for safeguard duty on Chinese imports. It can worst affect the prices which are very low. It can disincentive producers from establishing solar parks.
- Roof top solar installations are not very encouraging. It is not commercially viable. As there is no net metering policy, households are not interested.
The missing tiers
Urban governance in India is very fragmented. 74th amendment act failed to solve its problems. Disempowerment and depoliticisation of urban local Government has happened in multiple ways.
- Subjects listed in 12th schedule do not include essential civic services like urban transportation, housing etc.
- Mayor is not empowered to make decisions. All important decisions are taken by the appointed authorities like commissioner.
- 74th amendment act also keeps industrial townships out of the purview of elected leadership
- Parastatals which are under the control of state Government control all important civic functions in urban areas. Urban planning and land use regulation are under their control.
- Smart cities program depoliticises urban local bodies further. It modus operandi is through a special purpose vehicle headed by a CEO. Program suggests to amend municipal laws if necessary to bring civic functions under CEO.
- Civil society organisations are more active on membership in ward committees and metropolitan planning committees. They are missing bigger democratic questions.
The cries of few condemn the fate of many
Amnesty international report on human rights violations by Arakan Rohingya salvation army is used as an alibi to deny refugee rights to Rohingyas. India has unequivocally stated that Rohimgyas are a threat to National security and considers them as illegal immigrants.
Cleaning up balance sheets
Creation of a bad bank was proposed by Chief economic advisor Arvind Subramanian( public sector Asset rehabilitation agency). It is expected to take all bad loans on to it books at a discounted rate and deal with them. It helps to clean bank books and improves their financial position. This can change risk aversive behaviour of banks and credit growth can increase.
On the other side, bad bank do not address governance issues of banks, which are primary reasons for NPA’s.
Will lateral entry have quota
Government proposed lateral entry at Joint secretary level is questioned for reservations.
Prabhu visit fails to resolve issues
Commerce minister Suresh Prabhu visit to USA failed to resolve issues. Price controls imposed by the Indian Government on Medical devices and requirements of data localisation are major worries for USA business. USA is also not happy on India for taking US steel tariffs to WTO.
India, china discusses oil Buyers club
OPEC – an oil producers cartel’s decision to cutdown production has increased oil prices and it is hitting countries like India, china, Japan. so, they decided to form oil buyers club to have bargain power. Two Major issues they are focussing are
- Premium being charged from Asian Buyers.
- Introducing American crude oil in to Asia to cut OPEC dominance.