My Notes: 03 September 2018
USA, India may not sign security pact at 2+2 meet
- An in principle agreement is likely between two sides on the communications compatibility and security agreement.( COMCASA). Similar trajectory was followed for logistics exchange memorandum of agreement.
India is expected to acquire 24 Multi role helicopters with anti submarine warfare capabilities for Indian Navy under foreign military sales program of USA. But, issues still remain.
- Clarity on strategic partnership policy is missing
- India is declared as a major defence partner. National security strategy of USA states deepening of relations with India and offers support to its leadership role in Indian ocean. No concrete action plan is put in place.
- India need to be cautious on CAASA act.
India achieved an higher growth of 8.2% in first quarter. It is majorly due to budgetary support to rural economy, lower base effect and resolution of issues related to GST. But, risks still exist.
- Rise in oil and other commodity prices can worsen current account deficit.
- Rising inflation expectation
- Widening fiscal deficit
- Falling rupee can make imports expensive adding to inflation spiral.
For a shift in gear
Statement to Remember
There has to be a change from focussing only on managing natural disasters to improving resilience.
It needs following mechanisms
- Retrofitting of buildings to make them disaster resilient. For example in Japan earth quake engineering is taught as a specialised course.
- Formation of specialised units to handle disasters at state and local levels
- Better Forecasting of disasters. CAG pointed out that National disaster management authority’s performance in projects such as vulnerability assessment and mitigation projects of major cities as Abysmal.
- Emergency action plan for da and flood management
- Diverse approaches to diverse regions need to be put in place. Current disaster norms do not differentiate between states in offering disaster relief.
- Disaster norms need to be focused on urban areas. Existing norms of relief are focused on rural areas. They majorly take in to account agriculture, fisheries, livestock etc.
- People living in authorised areas are excluded from relief.
- India disaster resource network need to be institutionalised.
- Long term rehabilitation strategy is necessary.
Protecting the dissenters
Statement to Remember : Dissent is the safety valve of democracy