04 september 2018
Law commission’s advice to end discrimination in personal laws is persuasive. It recommends uniform civil code not just for the sake of uniformity. It aims to establish a body of civil law that promotes equality, gender Justice and non discrimination.
It proposes for adoption of universal principles in matters relating to marriage, divorce, succession and adaptation in all religions.
Commission also points out present age of marriage at 21 for men and 18 for women is based on a stereotype that women shall be younger than men at marriage.
Other recommendations it made are
- decriminalisation of adultery and making it a ground for divorce
- Introduction of No fault divorce
- Introduction of irretrievable breakdown of marriage as a ground for divorce
It also suggests equal division of property after divorce.
The nature of dissent
Dissent is essential for the formation of self of an individual and society. It gives the both necessary identity. Dissent allows one to communicate with other and form relations. It is voice that creates knowledge and makes science to evolve.
Dissent is not just about criticism and it is more about showing new perspectives. On ethical line dissent is a necessary voice of vulnerable and marginalised for basic dignity in social life.
A mature society shall have the capacity to manage dissent. Dissent is necessary not only for democracy – it is essential for the survival of the human race.
Green shoots of revival
BIMSTEC is getting new life and Kathmandu summit is one such example to give a firm institutional foundation for BIMSTEC.
- A charter for BIMSTEC is expected to be prepared soon.
- Permanent working committee will be set up
- Secretariat is promised with additional funds
- BIMSTEC development fund is to be established.
- Few Core areas of cooperation are being identified. Thailand already proposed for five pillars. Connectivity, trade and investment, people to people contacts, security, Science and technology.
- Cooperation in security is on faster pace. Meeting between home minsters, military chiefs and national security advisors is proposed and expected to be implemented from this year.
But , irritants still remain. They are
- Free trade area is not finalised.
- Energy centre proposed in 2009 did not make any progress.
- Motor Vehicle agreement and coastal shipping agreement yet to be finalised.
Still too many children out of school
In India, it is estimated that close to 4.5 crore children are out of school. After a decade of inlemnetaiton of Right to education act this situation is dismal. Out of school children and child labour are intertwined in India.
There are many socio economic reasons for this. Most of the out of school children are girls and are from marginalised sections of the society. That is Dalits, tribals and minorities. Incidence is high in rural India. Lack of economic opportunities, distance to schools, safety of girls and need for more earning hands are reasons for existing situation.
When the levee breaks
Many a times response for an existing disaster makes a community much vulnerable to future disasters. Ex -levee built in response to Kosi floods created much havoc when they are breached later. So, a long term approach rather than adhocism is necessary in managing disasters.