05 September 2018
Routes to Afghanistan – Highlights
- President Trump’s south Asia policy
- Moscow peace process to Afghanistan
- Pakistan role in Afghanistan
- Iran angle in Afghan peace process and development
- India and Afghanistan – role in state building, peace process and development
President Trump in his south Asia policy announced for a greater role for India in Afghan peace process. Along with this he stated for an extended stay of American forces in Afghanistan and condemned Pakistan for its terror actions on Afghan soil.
Situation today is a far departure from above announcements. The reasons are
- Regional solution for Afghan peace process is not on table.
- Moscow driven peace process with china, Iran and Taliban is not moving forward as American insisting on non participation of afghan Government.
- Afghan taliban still hold control over many regions in Afghanistan. There is a rise in terror activity in and around kabul.
- American punitive actions on Pakistan are a eye wash.
- Iran borders both Pakistan and Afghanistan and it can provide an alternative route to Afghanistan. American sanctions and antagonism with Iran is complicating the problem.
On Part of india,
- It shall clearly state its position on peace talks with taliban and its willingness to be a part of it.
- India has to continue with its goodwill diplomacy.
Drugs are not sweets
Drug regulation in India is inadequate. It has lacunae both in legal and institutional matters. Drugs and cosmetics act is woefully inadequate and central drugs standards control organisation do not have resources.
sooner, not later
TRS appears to be willing to go for early elections. It states that region shall not be a political slave to Delhi Parties. It is clearly a regional plank. Today, regionalism assumed the form of an ideology itself.
The last battle
Idlib province is the last strong hold of rebels in syria. Al Assad Government wants to strongly make it back with the support of Russia and Iran. But, presence of Turkey and fears of Turkey on refugee influx is its major challenge. Above all, an humanitarian crisis is about to set in.
Got troops should first open humanitarian corridors for civilians to move to safer locations. The goal should be not just a military victory, but also a political win.
Youth more likely to chose protests over vote
A survey by ORB media across 128 countries finds that young adults , who are interested in politics, rejecting formal political engagement for street activism.