UPSC IAS The Hindu Current Affairs 13th April 2018 highlights are:
- They allow for flexibility to continue political engagement and economic cooperation with their common adversary.
- They avoid entrapment of being dragged in to a partners dispute and potentially in to a conflict.
- At the same time, strategic partnership provides for regular political and military interactions for a collaborative approach to strategic policies.
India and Japan relations perfectly figure in to the above relationship.
- India will not get deep in to Japan disputes and the same is the case with Japan. A mutual cooperation exists on the wider issues where win win situation exists.
Important developments of India – Japan special strategic and global partnership are
- Japan is the only country India allowed to invest in infrastructure in North east.
- There is a joint infrastructure project development – Asia – Africa Growth corridor.
- Japan and India agreed to have annual summits and 2+ 2 format for defence and foreign ministers meeting.
- India is buying ShinMaywa Amphibious ships from Japan.
- Japan is investing in infrastructure development in Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
Nuclear deal in danger
Trump’s continuous tirade against Iran nuclear deal appears to be an end to Obama era pragmatism. Nuclear deal was successfully able to stop Iran form developing a nuclear weapon. Added to this, Iran never violated the deal. In these circumstances USA imposing sanctions against Iran, will set a dangerous precedent in international agreements. Iran nuclear deal being multilateral agreement, President shall end his rhetoric.
A big broom
Government effort to release names of shell companies, Name and shame its directors may not yield sufficient results to fight unaccounted money. In the process, there is a possibility of harassing genuine companies or directors.
The best way forward is to arrest systemic shortcomings.
Tax payer rights and obligations
Indian tax administration system shall move from an enforcement to a service based model. Intentions of reforms are good but they are reactive. DTAA, GAAR, transfer price mechanism, implementation of GST all have challenges.
improvement in taxpayers’ service, enhanced use of information and communication technology, exchange of information with other agencies, expansion of tax base, compliance management, etc. Need to be improved to make tax administration Service oriented.
Beyond social Media
In India Geographical indications (Registration and protection) act 1999 has provided for registration of Geographical indications. There is no effective monitoring mechanism for quality compliance of the same. Unlike this in the European regulation clearly provides for monitoring at multiple levels. India also shall have the same.
Prelims Roundup (2000) –www.laex.in/testprep
NCERT Videos Available at www.laex.in/testprep
Building a robust primary health care system will save lives and can lead to a healthier India.
Ayushman Bharat has two primary elements
- Health and wellness clinics
- Insurance based health protection scheme
PHC centres will be rechristened as health and wellness centres with expanded coverage of diseases and with a focus on preventive and promotive care.
National health protection scheme is based on providing universal health insurance coverage to 10 crore of families towards secondary and tertiary care.
Issues with this are
- NHPS do not cover out patient care. No country in the world has achieved universal health care through insurance based mechanisms.
- Cost of health care is expected to increase
- Emphasis on Primary health care and insurance based health security is not supported with necessary financial allocations.
Why should we trust science
Science is based on evidence, logic , reason. Logic stitches together observations and determines the rules to understand the evidence. Reason constructs hypothesis and these are tested for consistency against logic and fact. Reason encompasses imagination, creativity mathematical thinking and other abilities of the human mind. In essence, science is the organised method to understand nature.
When societies take positions against the consensus of science, for economic or ideological gains, they risk failure.
No Place for young girls
Criminal justice system has to function irrespective of pulls and pressures from politics and society. Giving a caste, communal colour to a rape on a child shows degradation of values in a given society and loss of respect for Justice. Kathua and Unnao incidents reflect the above. Justice need to stand for power.
Bank Boards Bureau
An organisation established to recommend appointments to chairman, director position of various public sector banks. Chairman and committee members will have a two year term.
WHO directives call for support for Breast feeding
WHO and UNICEF issued a new 10 step guidance to increase support for breast feeding in health facilities. They are aimed at educating mother to provide breast feeding with in the first hour and to breastfed exclusively for six months.
SCs life and existence under threat : Justice Kurian
Justice Kurian urges CJI to take on Government for sitting on collegium recommendations. Indu Malhotra and CJ of high court of Uttarakhand are recommend for elevation as judges of Supreme Court by collegium. Government of India did not take any action on the matter. It can send a wrong message that executive can make career prospects suffer if they do not act in their pleasure.
IRNSS 1I is kept in the orbit by PSLV C41. It has successfully completed NAVIC constellation.